Saturday, January 16, 2016

My parents' wedding anniversary.

Today's 16 Jan that happens to be my parents' wedding anniversary. After my dad's passing into the mist of time, the date actually has been reduced to a figure to many of us in the family but I realised as to how much my mom missed him, especially, on this day as she narrated quite a few events of that great day of her's, that happened 62 years ago!

Two huge cars brought my dad's and mom's families from Kottarakkara and Thiruvananthapuram respectively. My mom's family had come in a Ford that had accommodated the entire family - consisting of my grandparents and their five children, along with a few close friends! The passengers - the juniors that is - found space on the car's deck since the seats were used up by the elders. They'd arrived at Guruvayur the previous evening and were accommodated in the Devaswom's 'satram' with food coming from a nearby, lone eatery on order.

Mom was wearing a saree for the first time because she used to wear the long skirt-blouse combination and the half saree(A short piece, made out of saree material, worn like the free edge of the saree along with the long skirt-blouse combination) to the school and college till that time. To her meagre repertoire of jewellery that my grandparents could afford, an impressive set of ornaments was added thanks to the ones received from their friends as gifts. She has since given away all her jewellery to her daughters and the daughter-in-law. The wedding ring that she wears, with dad's initial 'K' engraved on it, is the only ornament of that vintage left with her which, incidentally, was gifted by the late Vaayanasaala Kesava Pillai sir, a close friend of my grandfather!

.........After the wedding ceremony and the accompanying lunch, it was around 4 when the group had dispersed from Guruvayur. Mom remembers having reached dad's place sometime late in the night. After spending a couple of days there, mom and dad had gone off to Thiruvananthapuram from where dad had gone off to Bombay, after about a fortnight, on completion of his leave.


Tailpiece.

Mom was remembering her days with dad - beginning with the day of their wedding - which shows as to how much she misses him! She tells me with a sly smile and I quote, "Your dad's a handsome guy, you know. The only thing that I didn't like about him was his thick, bushy eyebrows which, of course, I got him to trim soon after marriage."

PS.

Suresh Laxman and his family drove off around 8, soon after breakfast, promising to visit us soon!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment