Thursday, September 26, 2019

Mismatches!

I'm terming a few of the news bytes that I've heard today as mismatches. When you read them you, too, might come to the same conclusion as I have. So, without much ado, here I go:-

 (a) UK's Labour Party Move.

       The Labour delegates have unanimously passed a controversial motion on Kashmir at their
       annual party conference in Brighton, leading to India's UK mission cancelling a dinner with
       Labour friends of India. The motion claims a "major humanitarian crisis" is taking place in the
       "disputed territory" and calls for "humanitarian and international observers to the entire region".
       It goes on to state that the people of Kashmir should be given the right to self-determination.

       My take.

       What a blatant example of interference into another country's internal matters? A sense of 
       double standards! Do they still consider India as its colony?

  (b) Leprosy Has Made a Comeback.

        Leprosy was declared to have been eradicated from the country almost a couple of decades
        back but a two-week long campaign against 'Leprosy' called 'Aswamedham' was launched in the
        northern district of Palakkad as 154 new cases were reported during financial year 2018-'19,
        compared to the 100 of the previous year. Out of these, 18 persons were affected by deformity
        and the disease were affected by deformity and the disease was confirmed in 20 children during
        this period. Palakkad is followed by Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram in the list of districts
        with the highest number of leprosy cases.

        My take.

        The dreaded illness is back with a vengeance? Is the illness not 100% eradicable? Wonder what
        the statistics of other countries say about Leprosy's recurrence?

  (c) Dalit Kids Killed for Open Defecation!

        Two dalit cousins - a girl aged 12 and a boy aged 11 - were beaten to death by two men in
        Shivpuri district of Madhya Pradesh when they were defecating in the open in front of the
        suspects' house and farm. Don't the lives of dalits have any value? Why do we still treat them
        like muck? Who has given the power to take another's life?

        My take.

        RIP Roshani and Avinash! My tears and prayers!! I hang my head in shame at this ghastly
        behaviour of my misguided fellow countrymen!!!


Tailpiece.

It was a quiet day. Had gone across to Santosh's watch shop to change the button cell of my pocket watch. Enroute I'd met Gopalan, the sentry at Ikka's main gate who was quite surprised that I wasn't seen despite my presence out here. He has been inquiring about me from many people. Damn sweet of him! The Quarterdeck was progressively shut down during the course of the evening.          

       

       

No comments:

Post a Comment