Saturday, January 25, 2020

To Neelamperoor and back.

Had got up at 4 o'clock thanks to the alarm set on my phone. Went through the chores and Lekha had got up by a half past 4 to give me tea and a packed breakfast. Anto had reached our gate promptly at a quarter past 5, I wasn't ready and delayed the departure by about 5'. Anto is a grandfather; his daughter had given birth to a baby boy about four months back.

The queue was just beginning to grow but I was able to collect my ticket to Kottayam without any wait. On my way to the third platform, I'd stopped by at the periodicals' vendor to collect a copy of today's Indian Express. Vidyadharan was eager to speak as I inquired about his business and life, in general. moving on, I found that the engine driver of our train had overshoot his parking spot, creating problems for passengers - especially, the ladies and children - who'd to walk on the track! Couldn't find him as I wanted to tell him that he wasn't doing it right. Recited my prayers and wound up before reaching Poonkunnam,

The train was on time and the rush of passengers had dwindled down to a few by a half past 8, when we reached the Ernakulam North station. I polished off the lovely breakfast of assorted sandwiches and washed it down with a cup of coffee, bought from a vendor. The train chugged along and I reached Kottayam by a quarter past 10. Had got to gate of the railway station and had to wait for about 20' when I could board a private bus to Kainadi and got off at the Neelamperoor Devi kshethram within about half an hour.

Gomathi peramma was lying in state in the front hall of Kunjomana chechi's house. Her look seemed to have changed or was it my imagination? After spending time next to the mobile mortuary, I made it a point to meet Maheshwari peramma, Divakaran chittappan's wife, Santha kunjamma and Sarala kunjamma and the four of them showered me with kisses. Maheshwari peramma, also, told me that she wanted to visit Guruvayur once more after the mourning period was over. In tears, she was feeling bad that she'd been praying to her God - till two days back - to free her sister from the prolonged agony!

Kala, Leela kunjamma's daughter had come and gone before I'd fetched up there. Met quite a few of my relatives from Neelamperoor during the short time that I was there. Rema and Padmakumar were followed by Aravi maman, Rajan maman and Aniyan. A pandal had been erected in front of Muthachhan's ancestral house and the shade was a great blessing to ward of the effects of a warm day. I felt nice sitting there and spending most of my time today!

By about a half past 1, Gomathi peramma's body was brought out on the forecourt to conduct the connected rituals and ceremonies. Placed flowers and said my final bye as her inert form was placed on the pyre readied behind the Puthuvayil house. It was a quick farewell as the pyre was lit at 2 and I hitched a hike with Aravi maman. After having lunch at the Indian Coffee House at Ettumanoor, Padmakumar, Rema and I were dropped off at the bus stand. We could clamber on to a fast passenger and reached the Vyttila hub by a half past 6; Rema and Padmakumar had got off earlier, at Thrippunithura.

I hopped on to a low floor a/c bus to Kozhikode and got off at Thrissur by a half past 10. From there I got into a Guruvayur fast passenger that took me to my destination by a circuitous route, via Vadanapalli.

During the short journey, came across 36 year-old Shanawaz, who'd returned after working for 10 years as a manager in a lodge. He has some money and is trying to set up a small business so as to provide employment to a few people. The youngster has a lot of ideas, is matured - in fact, he spoke in support of the CAA saying that people were being misled and is a Modi-supporter. I did outline the steps to go about beginning a 'start up' for which he would have banks supporting it through soft loans! He got off, before me, at Chavakkad and my parting prayer was that he does not get cheated by anyone! Is very fond of his family that consists of his wife and and two daughters - studying in classes VIII and IV. God, do please take care of them and may he do well so that he doesn't have to go abroad for work again. 


Tailpiece.

I was back at The Quarterdeck by about a half past 11, had a leisurely bath and tucked in the hot supper that Lekha had kept ready. It was, indeed, a long day but very satisfying in that, I could meet very many of my relatives.   


No comments:

Post a Comment