Friday, February 26, 2021

Adieu Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri sir.

Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri sir, the eminent poet and academic whose verses reflected a fine blend of tradition and modernity, passed into the mist of time yesterday afternoon. He was 81.

For sometime now, he was confined to 'Sreevalli' - his home at Thycaud in Thiruvananthapuram.

In autumn '72, I was a degree student with Physics (main) at the University College, Thiruvananthapuram. Of the classes that I was very fond of attending was English, taught by a young, energetic and handsome lecturer, Vishnu Narayanan Namboothiri sir. After a few sessions and because of the frequent doubts that I would pose to him, he used to insist that I sit towards the front benches of his class.

He used to give a feedback about the interest that I took in the language and in his classes, to my grandfather. His advice still rings in my ears as I took leave of him and the college, in Dec '72, to join the NDA. Whenever I used to come down on vacation, he was one of my teachers whom I always made it a point to call on and he was very fond of me.

I remember my last meeting with him, quite a few years back, during a 'Vaayana Dinam' when I'd customarily touched his feet and he said very proudly to the people around him then, "He's one of my favourite students and has the soul of PN Panicker sir in him". I consider that compliment equivalent to the gallantry medal that I've got.

RIP sir! The unadulterated love and affection that you'd showered on me shall always remain fresh in my memories and I consider myself to be lucky. My salute to a great teacher, along with my tears and prayers. May your near and dear ones have the strength to tide over this immense loss.

    *            *              *

A lovely poem written by Mario de Andrade (San Paolo 1893 - 1945), poet, novelist, essayist and musicologist. He's one of the founders of Brazilian modernism. 

           MY SOUL HAS A HAT

I counted my years
and realized that I have
Less time to live by,
Than I have lived so far.

I feel like a child who won a pack of 
candies : at first he ate them with 
pleasure,
But when he realized that there was 
little left, he began to taste them 
intensely.

I have no time for endless meetings
where the statutes, rules,
procedures and internal regulations
are discussed,
knowing that nothing will be done.

I no longer have the patience
To stand absurd people who,
despite their chronological age,
Have not grown up.

My time is too short :
I want the essence,
my spirit is in a hurry.
I do not have much candy
In the package anymore.

I want to live next to humans,
very realistic people who know
How to laugh at their mistakes,
Who are not inflated by their own 
triumphs
and who take responsibility for their 
actions.
In this way, human dignity is
defended
and we live in truth and honesty.

It is the essentials that make life
useful.
I want to surround myself with people
who know how to touch the hearts
of those whom hard strokes of life
have learned to grow, with sweet
touches of the soul.

Yes, I'm in a hurry.
I'm in a hurry to live with the
intensity that only maturity can
give.
I do not intend to waste any of the 
remaining desserts.

I am sure they will be exquisite,
much more than those eaten so far.
My goal is to reach the end satisfied
and at peace with my loved ones
and my conscience.

We have two lives
and the second begins when you
realize you only have one. 


Tailpiece.

Got up a trifle late, the chores and was ready by a half past 9. Hameed chauffeured me to the Rajah hospital and Thesni, renewed the dressing. My wound seems to be healing comfortably.

Had a long chat with Bal, my course mate and it was great hearing him after a long time. He has settled down in California.  

No comments:

Post a Comment