Saturday, November 8, 2014

In conversation with mom(3)

Our conversation is on during the evenings after the 'fruit session' and before supper. And my mom has been warming up to the walk down memory lane. She continues.....

On her marriage.

Those days, marriages were conducted in the temples by those who could not afford a lavish wedding in the premises of their homes. Shri Mannathu Padmanabhan, the pioneer of the 'Nair Services Society', was the first to encourage my mom's father of his decision and his gift of Rs.101/- was handed over to my mom at the venue.

Each family - my mom's and my dad's - had organised a car, full of their close relatives for the journey from Thiruvanathapuram and Kottarakkara to Guruvayur.

To put it in mom's words, "My wedding was solemnised right in front of the sanctum santorum and the guests were many, led by Shri Paravur TK Narayana Pillai, the then Chief Minister of Travancore Cochin".

On her getting accustomed to dad's family.

Dad's family was equally large and they were eight siblings - Sarasamma, Kamalamma, Kuttappan, Rajamma, Appukuttan, Varadamma, Ramadasan and Narendran. The two sisters, older than my dad, were incommunicado with the family over differences of opinion with my dad's father regarding their shares of the family property.

All his brothers and sisters, including the estranged ones, had soon established a good rapport with  mom so much so that she became their friend, philosopher and guide and I've always observed the relationships with a lot of interest and the robustness was because of her genuine concern for each! And my dad's parents used her to get around their errant elder daughters to tide over tricky situations!!

Unfortunately, only Varadamma Appachi and Ramadasan kochachan, among them, remain as of date. Similar to what has been in her family, the grandchildren have also taken the cue from their parents and are quite connected to their 'valiya mummy'!

Since she was pursuing her studies, she stayed with her parents in Thiruvananthapuram and visited my dad's folks once a month and also when dad was on leave! 

It's time for another break and I promise to return with more! 


Tailpiece.

(a) The tryst with the past has been exhilarating with me asking for more. Many things are getting to be clearer now!

(b) On hearing the news of the passing away of Hrudayakumari teacher, this evening, my mom was very sad even bursting into tears. She was one of the lecturers at the Women's College when she'd joined and was very fond of her. RIP teacher! My mom offers you her tears and prayers.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment