Tuesday, February 13, 2018

.Thrissur(2)

Had got up around a half past 2 and found that sleep was difficult to come by. So, had washed my face and rinsed my mouth to recite my prayers. On completion, I'd managed to drift back to sleep to get up at a half past 6. After a quick wash we'd walked across to the dining hall to have our morning cuppa. Reminded me of my boarding school days!

Around a half past 8, we're back in the dining hall for our breakfast of idlis, vada, chutney and sambar. And we left for the first panchayat of the day viz. Nenmanikkara. I shall never forget the effect of Mahashivarathri that affected the size of the audiences, all through the day except for the Adaattu panchayat.

The panchayats with which we'd our trysts today were:-

    (a) Nenmamikkara.
    (b) Nadathara.
    (c) Puthur.
    (d) Adaattu and
    (e) Kaipparambu.

At Nenmanikkara, the crowd had slowly picked up but we'd have loved it to be larger. At the end of it, we'd two batches of trainee players that swelled the crowd. At Nadathara, things were better and the available crowd was attentive and interactive. Puthoor, was disappointing though the panchayat had garnered the high school students in their uniform. In fact, the children had waited for us to finish lunch to have their's. Had we known about it earlier, we would not have let that happened but we waited for all of them to finish their meal to begin our interaction.

A thing that I've been noticing during our interactions with the school children - all government schools - was that they were too shy to open up during the interactive sessions. Was that an elusive quality of those from the elite schools, I wonder?

Adaattu gave a grand reception to the yatra. It was around a half past 3. Unfortunately, I'd missed it as I was overseeing the fueling of five of our vehicles, ensure that the bills had the numbers of the vehicles and their names to finally clear payment by credit card. A rather tedious work but a necessity for the records which would be subjected for audit. I'd joined it soon after and homed in Sukeshan and Paulson Jose, to the premises. The interaction was good, Sukeshan left soon after handing over my personal stuff and collecting clothes for wash. Paulson stayed on to watch the street play but I'd to leave him there as I'd to rush to the next and last panchayat for the day.

The size of the audience at Kaipparambu panchayat left much to be desired. The police team, however, put up their act and attracted passersby as additional crowd at the Nehru mandapam. This panchayat was the closest to 'The Quarterdeck', our house at Guruvayur.

Our night halt was at the Jojo Hotel, owned by the panchayat's president, that was inaugurated just a week back. The wardrobe and other stuff need to be put in place and it's still in the process of being furnished.

Thrissur is over and we're now poised for our move through Palakkad from tomorrow.


Tailpiece.

1. Lekha and her folks stayed the night at 'The Quarterdeck', went by George's car to the Thirumaandhaam kunnu temple this morning and had returned to Kottarakkara by a half past 8, this evening.

2. She'd overseen the clothes that I'd asked for which Sukeshan, our maid's husband, had made a trip all the way to the Adaattu library to hand over to me, where the function was on.   

No comments:

Post a Comment