Thursday, July 16, 2020

Karkkidakam Onnu.

Today is the first day of the Malayalam month of Karkkidakam. It's also known as the 'Ramayana maasam' as the epic would be recited in all the Hindu households, across the state. The monsoon would be passing on its fury and most of the folks tend to remain within their homes. The patriarch ensures that everyone is at hand to hear the 'lady of the house' recite the sacred book. It was from there that the tradition was set!

Lekha had got up at a half past 5 to ensure that she would not be delayed in carrying out her chores. The book, enclosed in a special jacket, was brought out yesterday and as custom dictates, Lekha had read a few lines from the start (One doesn't begin the recital on the first day of Karkkidakam). It was a thoroughly wet day - as the rain had continued through the night - and Lekha had commenced her recital around a quarter past 7. And the hymns of Rama and Sita wafted from the home theatre..

   *                   *                  *

Went about my usual chores and when I was at it, the replacement LPG cylinder was brought in. Am impressed by two things regarding the delivery process :-

     (a) The replenishment reaches the consumer within 24 hrs of the booking.
     (b) The delivery boys collect the cost of the gas cylinder and do not insist on tips. That's optional
           for the consumer to give.

It has taken a while for the system to stabilise and become reasonable and efficient.

   *                   *                   *

I, almost, got swindled today. Around a half past 12, there was a call, for me, on our landline - how did they get this number, I wonder - from the provident fund office. A lady, by the name of Mahira Sharma, told me that I was entitled to a sum of Rs.3,50,500/- being the arrears of my provident fund. I was taken aback because I was fairly sure that I wasn't entitled to any such thing as it was settled a long while back. She passed me my 'file number and a PIN' but wouldn't answer to my query as to why I wasn't being sent an official mail/e-mail on the subject. And then said that she'd dump it if I wasn't interested because all that she was doing was to try and help me out!

I made a mistake of passing on my cellphone number, upon her insistence, that messages were required to be sent to me. She, then, said that she was clearing my file and her superior would be calling me up. And sure enough, about half an hour later, another lady in the form of Sanjana Singh called up to say that she was approving my payment.

My insistence for their telephone number and address seemed to discourage them and I'd put the receiver back on the cradle to cut the call.

I'd received messages, earlier, from friends in New Delhi about a racket where the callers take the personal bank account details and connected information, to swindle the hapless individual off his/her precious and hard earned money. Anyways, I shall have a check on this incident so that I can give some positive leads to the police for tracking down the swindlers!

     *                    *                    *

Today's webinar was on "NDLI in Indian Languages" by Dr Plaban Kumar Bhowmick, Co-principal investigator, NDLI between 1500 and 1600 hrs. It was a nicely constructed lecture, supported by informative slides, as the professor harped on the three pillars on which the system is based viz., Interface, Search and Content!

      *                    *                    *

Lekha went through the evening recital of the Ramayana. It was pouring outside; I've heard of the first of Karkkidakam being a wet day, usually....today I witnessed it after a long while!

      *                    *                    *

I'd called up Salini teacher - of the government school at Neelamperoor - and congratulated her for the beautiful documentary she has made on my grandfather on What'sApp. Tautly edited, without losing its essence, the visual experience was great.


Tailpiece.

A quiet day, otherwise!   

No comments:

Post a Comment