Saturday, May 8, 2021

Tearful adieu.

Yesterday was a tough day. Lost two people - close to me and whom I'm fond of - in quick succession, in the morning. Commander Sivaswami Kalanidhi, my naval course mate and Commodore HML Saxena, my first Commanding Officer of INS Delhi, where I was a cadet in Spring '77.

Commander Sivaswamy Kalanidhi was admitted at the General Hospital, Madurai for the last 10 days for chest congestion which had got aggravated by the evening of the day before yesterday. His end was at about a half past 2, after midnight. He lives behind Kalavathi, his wife.

Commodore HML Saxena, NM(Gal) was admitted at the Military Hospital, Allahabad for Covid-19. He leaves behind his wife, Indira Saxena and a son and two daughters.

Commodore HML Saxena, NM

Then, Captain Har Mohan Lal Saxena, was the captain of INS Delhi when I and my friends of the 13th Integrated Cadets' Course joined on board for training in Jan '77 at Kochi. His assignment was called TS 1 - meaning the Senior Officer, Ist Training Squadron consisting of INS Delhi, INS Krishna (Commander TR Mughal), INS Tir (Commander Hemendra Sahney) and INS Cauvery(Commander Madhu Kondath). 

He used to observe his cadets very carefully, which I realised during my turn, at the 'breakfast-with-the Captain'. The allocation of the cadets into branches was due and because of my position among the top 10 among the cadets - taking into account my performance during the 6th term at the NDA and my performance on board - was expecting to be assigned into one of the technical branches, which I dreaded.

I'd expressed this apprehension of mine to the Captain at the breakfast table. And I remember his words even now, "No Rajeev, I've been observing you ever since you had stepped on board and I'm convinced that you should be an executive officer. You'll get the branch of your choice". And I became one, much to my happiness and proceeded for Midshipman training on board INS Beas during Autumn '77.

I remember an incident with the Captain. I was assigned duties of 'Captain's Doggy' and the Ist training Squadron was entering Madras Harbour. Delhi was the first to enter with other ships following in sequence. Tir, commanded by then, Commander Hemendra Sahney was the last ship to enter and go alongside her assigned wharf. Some wrong calculation or even the misbehaviour of engines saw the ship having a hard alongside! I saw a genuine look of worry on the Captain's face who was watching the evolution from the quarterdeck, where both of us were standing.

I was also impressed with his ship handling and his aura as our Captain.

RIP sir. My salute, tears and prayers. Here's me wishing that his family has the strength to tide over these difficult times. 

Commander Sivaswamy Kalanidhi

Kals, as he was popularly known among us, course mates, was a simple and straight forward soul who did things by the book and never took any short cuts, unlike many of us. He had his own opinions - never mind that that there weren't anyone to support him - and stood by them and tried to convince the others.

We parted after our initial phases of training and met, years later at the Staff College, Wellington to do the 47th Staff Course. There we - his wife, Kalavathi and Lekha - became good friends and we had many social interactions. He used to open up on many things and I was impressed in the manner in which he went about doing his work.

Towards his last days, he had sorted out the ownership issues of his dad's properties through his persistent hard work. We used to exchange notes with each other through long telephone conversations and he'd promised to come to Guruvayur to spend a few days with us. That promise will remain a broken one!

RIP Kals! My salute, tears and prayers for a wonderful person. Here's us wishing Kalavathi, the strength to tide over these stressful times. 


Tailpiece.

Got up at 7 - an hour later than my usual time - the chores and was ready by a half past 9.

A quiet Saturday!




No comments:

Post a Comment