Wednesday, May 26, 2021

The habits that are mine.

What habit did you pick up in the navy that you still keep and civilians don't understand?

Having served for 35 years in the Indian Navy, the ways of the Navy have become me. Some of the habits have become part of me and are enumerated below :-

Punctuality. I follow the naval way of punctuality. Surprisingly, many of my civilian friends think it is being 'OG' (too military like). In India, 'my time' is the right time. No one likes to follow time.

Adherence to Rules. In some parts of India, breaking rules is like showing your clout with the Administration. I hate that and respect all laid down rules, be it on the road or paying bills or taxes.

I do not use dots (.) in abbreviations.

Hair Cut and Shave. Regular haircut every month, even though I am bald and I cannot move out of my house without a shave.

Soldierly Posture. The soldierly bearing, in walking or standing, is inbuilt now. Many of my 'civilian' friends say that you can make out a service personnel, the moment he enters a room or even when you see him walking.

Line Discipline. Straight line, for the clothes in the wardrobe or books and files in the cupboard or car parking or even a picture on the wall.

Sense of Dress. Dress as per the occasion. No sloppy casuals or slippers outside the house. Shirt must be tucked-in and shoes polished. Twisted laces are not acceptable.

24 Hour Clock. I follow the 24 hour military clock which most 'civilians' get confused and have tried to 'correct' me.

No Avoidable Wastage. I hate wasting paper or scarce resources. Followed it in the Naval Service and continue with it even now. Same for lights, a/c, fan or water.

Room Orderliness. Everything in the house or room must be in an order. This I have been following from my boarding days and even now.

Advance Planning.  I hate unplanned activities, unless emergent. Moves must be well planned and every detail catered for.

Daily Exercises. Physical exercises are a must and have become part of my daily routine.

Pride in Being A Veteran. I take pride that I am a veteran and have instant respect for other veterans, even if from other Armies.

Straightforward Dealings. Like to have straight, frank and honest dealings. Why waste time in bargaining or fooling each other?


Tailpiece.

Got up around a half past 6 to a power interruption and heavy rains. Went through the chores and saw Ammu-Mithun off on an errand. Had breakfast and took bath, closer to lunch time.

No news about my car as yet which means, the mechanic has not been able to get hold of that 'top cylinder'. When he's gonna get it is a million dollar question - the courier services are erratic, the movement of the spare is not traceable and therefore, its arrival is nebulous!  

The heavy rains have rendered our BSNL landline non-operational but with the proliferation of the cellphones within the house, its absence is not felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment