Monday, April 4, 2022

Indirakutty @ 80!

PN Panicker and G Chempakakutty Amma have seven children. They're Chandramathykutty Amma, Leela Kumari, Vilasinikutty Amma, Indirakutty Amma, Balagopal, Sumangala Devi and Krishna Kumar. Radhakrishnan, soon after Indirakutty and Geetha, after Krishna Kumar had passed into the mist of time as an infant/teen. Of the siblings, Indirakutty, Balagopal, Sumangala Devi and Krishna Kumar survive.

Today was Indirakutty's 80th birthday. We - Lekha, Rema and I'd - gone to Thiruvananthapuram to celebrate the occasion, at the PN Panicker Foundation. We were the last to arrive but the ceremonial cake cutting was delayed to ensure that we, too, were part of it. The cutting of the cake, the singing of 'Happy birthday Indirakutty' and the ceremonial lunch that followed was a festive occasion. The staff of the Foundation also took part in the celebrations enthusiastically, as usual.

I think my aunt was happy that barring a few - for valid reasons, though - the entire family had made it a point to be part of the joyous occasion!

      *        *        *

I would like to go back in time to focus my thoughts on my aunt. Indirakutty in long skirt and blouse, with her hair tied in two plaits, is my first visual sight of her. She used to carry me a lot, rock me in the cradle, singing and also took me to the temple, for company. She was very quiet and her voice was seldom heard within the family.

I still remember the late evening when we were off to Guruvayur to be part of Vilasinikutty's wedding on 27 Apr 1964. An excited me, went to Indirakutty to show off my shoes and she pinched me hard because she was sad and angry that she was among the few who were not accompanying us for the event.

I remember having accompanied her when she went for her interview for a post in the state's statistics department. She had come out with flying colours and thus, got a government job quite early in her life!

The next incident was when my maman had come across to the Sainik School, sometime in Jun 1970, to take me on two days' leave to attend her wedding at the Shanghumukham Devi temple and this time, it was the school authorities who played spoilsport and did not give me permission - for the simple reason that she wasn't a close relation!

That year, during our Annual Sports Festival, Indirakutty and her husband, Sasi kochachhan were my guests to watch the spectacular show. And that's when I saw her husband for the first time and we'd become friends, instantaneously.

During my brief interlude at the University College, in late '72 while marking time to join the NDA, I used to go to her office at the Directorate of Health Services, near the General Hospital, for lunch. Our lunch used to be brought from home and my grandparents had entrusted her with the responsibility that I'd my lunch properly and in time!

In the late '90s when her husband had passed into the mist of time, due to a massive heart attack, I'd taken a vow that I'd stay only with her on my subsequent visits to Thiruvananthapuram! Till then, I used to stay with my uncle and other aunts in rotation and though they weren't happy with my decision they'd grudgingly agreed to my thinking and concluded that, that was the right one. Consequently, Lekha, self and Bruno, our Dobermann used to be regular visitors at her place.

I and Lekha used to meet up with everyone during our visits to Thiruvananthapuram, so that no one's feathers were ruffled.

         *        *        *

Today, she welcomed us warmly, had the pieces of cake that we stuffed into her mouth and posed for photographs. She apologised for having pulled us all the way from Guruvayur and I wasn't able to convince her that it was a duty that had to be carried out without questions. 

Many happy returns of the day, Indira kunjamma. Here's Lekha and I wishing you a healthy and happy year ahead and may you get whatever you wish for! Take care!!


Tailpiece.

Started our return journey, after lunch. We reached Kottarakkara, to be welcomed by a massive thundershower and I'm told that there has been a lot of devastation. Couldn't go to the Thalavoor UP School as the celebrations had wound up earlier. Will meet up with Mr. Somnath Sarma during one of the coming days.

Mini had boarded the Yashwantpur-Kochuveli train this evening at Bangalore and will reach tomorrow at 7, in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment