Thursday, July 21, 2022

Adieu Iwan K Joseph and Pramod Jain!

Iwan K Joseph was in my house while he was in his 7th class and I was his House Captain, way back in 1970 in Sainik School, Kazhakkoottam. He passed into the mist of time early this week, leaving behind his wife and two children. He was undergoing treatment for cancer of his brain for the last ten years and it was being done in the best hospital in Florida, USA.

Pramod Jain is my course mate from the NDA. He was in Alpha Squadron while I was in Hunter and we got to be close during our days at the Air Force Training Team (AFTT), during Autumn '75! He passed into the mist of time in the wee hours of this morning, at Bangalore due to a massive heart attack. He'd undergone an open heart bypass surgery just about ten years back.

Would like to recall my association with the both of them as I'd the privilege of interacting closely and spent quite a few lovely moments.

Iwan K Joseph

Iwan was a quiet, rather mischievous boy - was naughty on the quiet and when caught, used to give those innocent looks - who used to be good at Academics and in outdoors. Through his methodical way of doing things, he went on to become a Captain in the IN when he took premature retirement.

He'd spent an afternoon after taking that momentous decision - he was a Joint Director in the Directorate of Personnel, looking after appointments, transfers and promotions of officers' then - and when I asked him as to why he'd decided to quit despite the fact that he was a sure shot Flag Officer, his answer was typically 'Iwanish' - "Sir, bahut ho gaya, I would like to spend the coming years with my family at Florida. Moly ( his wife, was working in a hospital there) and the kids are there and I'll pick up a teaching job which is what I like". 

And he did just that till his very end. Cancer was literally eating away his brain and he was on treatment for the last ten years. He went through the ordeal, admirably well, never losing his sense of humour.

A great guy and a man for all seasons!

You shall always be in my heart, Iwan because you'd grown up to be a fantastic human being and I feel proud of the fact that I, too, had a part in shaping your persona!

Pramod Jain

An effervescent and soft spoken guy among the Air Force mates of our course. We really got close to each other during our times at the AFTT at the NDA during our 6th term. He used to laugh at my PJs and share many of his personal thoughts with me!

And after passing out of the Academy, during our elementary flying days at Mohammadabad Bidar, our interactions got to be more often. Whether it was about Sergeant Kurup's missives on the drill square or our individual trysts with our flying instructors, our guffaws resonated within the confines of our living blocks and even in the crew room, where a modicum of decorum was expected of each of us.

The beauty was that he always got caught while laughing at my PJs and he could laugh so easily. 

Met him a couple of years back during one of our course get togethers and he told me as to how he was enjoying his flying in the civil airlines after leaving the IAF. And yes, he said one more thing about getting back to either AFTT or EFS, Bidar with me so that we could keep laughing for ever! (Did he say that off the cuff, for conversation's sake, or did he really mean it? I'll never ever know! I'd like to believe that it was the latter!).

A great guy who was humility personified!

I'll miss you Pramod, you are my soul mate.    

Adieu Iwan and Pramod! My salutes with tears and prayers. May your near and dear ones have the strength to tide over these stressful times.


Tailpiece.

Got up at 6, the chores and got the sad news about the passing away of Group Captain Pramod Jain. Sajish had come down to give me an early morning haircut.

The bed linen were changed and washing machinex was carried out.

Went to Rani Menon's Eye clinic to order a bifocal for myself.

Lekha and her sister went to Kunnamkulam, in Suraj's auto rickshaw for purchases. Suma kunjamma had fetched up by 8 PM and she'll be with us till Saturday. The Quarterdeck has suddenly become noisy and crowded! 

No comments:

Post a Comment