Monday, October 24, 2022

Adieu Viswanathan sir.

Yet another colossus from the teaching staff of Sainik School, Kazhakkoottam, KK Viswanathan sir who'd joined school during the late 1960s, passed into the mist of time, this morning. He was admitted in the SUT Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram a fortnight back, due to Covid and post-Covid problems. 

A much-loved master in school, he used to teach Hindi and Malayalam. He had a nice smile and very seldom was it replaced with a frown or scowl and he had a good handwriting - impressive with small, rounded letters (be it Hindi, English or Malayalam). I also remember him portraying a woman in a Malayalam play put up by our teaching staff sometimes in 1967 or '68.

I had the privilege of meeting up with him last, during the OBA day of 2015. I still remember his question that he asked me with that signature smile of his, "Why weren't you in my House?". I'd no answer to that and just grinned while he held my hand. (I was never in his House nor had he taught me any subject during my tenure at school!).

Adieu sir. You'd always been kind and full of love. My tears and prayers. May your near and dear ones have the strength to tide over these difficult times. And they don't make 'em teachers like you anymore!

     *       *       *

Diwali @ Raj Nivas After Quite A While

Lekha and I are at Raj Nivas, to celebrate Diwali after a long while......I think after Mom had passed into the mist of time. 

Njaarakkaattu Vijayan - who has had a kidney transplant - dropped by just to say hello. Damn sweet of him!

The day had begun as usual. Had got up at 6, lit up the lamp in the puja room, switched on the music and opened up the house. Lekha had organised the diyas for the evening and she'd made the 'payasam' for the evening.

The caretaker and his family arrived around a trifle past 6 - Syamala swept the courtyard - and the diyas were lit. The crackers and the sparklers were disposed off with Aniyan's 5 year-old son enjoying every bit of it. On completion, payasam was distributed.

A really nice evening, it was!


Tailpiece.

Wished Leela chittamma many happy returns.

Shall remember this Diwali for a long, long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment