Saturday, January 21, 2023

At Puthuvayil Veedu.

The day had commenced at 0400 hrs, went through my chores and was ready by a quarter past 5. Anto, with his auto rickshaw, was at the gate at that time. Lekha had packed up three dosas and chutney for my breakfast during the travel. Reached the railway station soon after, bought my ticket and walked into the train which was on platform no.3.

Befriended Ivan, a class 4 boy who has been brought up well with the best of values. His mother was with him but was hostile, wonder why? Did she, even for a moment, think that I was one of those types who made friends with the child to 'maaro' line on the mother, I wonder? Had my breakfast when the train was slowly chugging into Thrippunithura station and it was a trifle after 9.

The train reached Kottayam by 0940 hrs. Had a cup of tea at the platform and by around a quarter past 10, I went off to the Public Library. Took the librarian's permission to sit in the reading room to browse through the day's newspapers and charge my cellphone.

Aniyan, Aravi maman, Rajan maman and Pappi kunjamma came by and I interacted with each one of them. Maman, Gopu and Bijumon sir had come along with Aji as the sa'arathi, close to 12. The meeting was nice and Maman was handed over a cheque of Rs.5 lakhs, being the library's contribution towards the renovation of the Puthuvayil House - Muthachhan's ancestral house at Neelamperoor.

The five of us had lunch at Hida and then, we went to the Puthuvayil Veedu. The facelift is going well indeed and we got everyone together to discuss the ongoing and forthcoming work of the Puthuvayil Veedu. The warring relations were told to behave and work together towards the benefit of the monument.

Met the 87-year-old Santha kunjamma who suffers from Alzheimer's and is bedridden. She kept smiling at us as we tried to make her understand as to what was taking place. Felt really sad and there was a lump in my throat as we left Neelamperoor. 

Maman had dropped us at the Changansserry bus stand from where Aniyan and I clambered on to a Kottayam-bound fast passenger. From there, I was able to board the low-floor-a/c bus, bound for Bangalore. Aniyan reached his house by 1830 hrs while Maman had reached his house at a half past 9. Gopu leaves for Bhubaneswar tomorrow. to organise the Film Festival there.

I'd reached Thrissur by 10, boarded the Guruvayur FP and got off at the LF college bus stop from where I'd walked into The Quarterdeck. A quick wash and change and then, had a quiet dinner!


Tailpiece.

And tomorrow, Radha mami, Jagada Mami and her sister, Pappi kunjamma, Rajan maman and Aravi maman are off to Dubai for the next five days. Had wished them a nice trip, earlier in the day.  

Santha kunjamma's pitiable sight has got stuck in my mind ever since I met her this afternoon. Sad!   

No comments:

Post a Comment