Saturday, February 2, 2013

Geetha @ 60!



I’d first met Geetha on one of her
short trips to be with  Mohan
Ancheri, when we’re doing a course
together in Bombay from Sep ’83 to
Jun ’84. My first take on her was that she
was unusually quiet, with a smile that was
infectious. And when she spoke, heads
turned and those around were compelled
to listen to her because she spoke sense
and that was the clarity of her thought!

Our friendship took off from then and
has never looked back. She was one of
the few who’d taken it upon herself to
look after me as I was a long-standing
bachelor of the group. I used to be a
frequent visitor to the Ancheris’ and it was
during those visits that I had the privilege
of “tasting” Geetha’s culinary abilities.
She’s so meticulous in preparing dishes
for appropriate occasions and the spread
on the table has that inimitable “Geetha
signature”. It reminds me of a teacher who
prepares her lesson plan flawlessly, down
to the last detail!

The warmth that I’ve received on each
of my visits made me feel wanted and I
look forward to my visits to them even
to this day. Their two lovely girls – my
“shombies” – always well-behaved and
sported similar coloured/stitched clothes
were yet another example to show how
Geetha had taken interest in bringing up
the little ones (I’ve seen this at my home
where my mom used to do the same for
my two kid sisters).

Geetha, time has really flown and I still
can’t believe that you’re 60. But it’s people
like you that make life worth living. I
feel proud to be your friend. Here's
us wishing that you get whatever you
wish for in the coming year.


Tailpiece.

My piece on Geetha Ancheri, for the newspaper published by her younger daughter, Saumya on the occasion. I've edited the article but retained its format in the single column for authenticity!

No comments:

Post a Comment