Wednesday, September 17, 2014

First come, first serve.

Lekha had gone this morning to the chemist next door and the guys at the counter there, Oommer and Gopakumar, were profusely apologetic for not having been able to attend to 'sir' last evening because of a heavy rush of customers. She was taken aback as she had gone to the shop for the first time. They'd deduced our relationship from the medicines that she'd ordered and hence, the reaction!

Last evening, on the return leg of my customary walk, I'd gone into the store to pick up a few medicines and at that time there were two customers with their long list of medicines that were being attended to, keeping both the guys at the counter, occupied. I'd joined the queue and rightfully, it should have been my turn soon after. But, in came a couple of men who'd literally barged in, called out for their medicines and to my surprise, their requirements were handed over without delay. And following them, came a huge man who squeezed himself into the front, obliterating me from the salesmen's view in the bargain, perhaps.

I must have waited for almost ten minutes and fearing that any more waiting would upset my exercise cycle, decided to drop the idea of making the purchases then and headed for home. There were occasions - in the course of the moments that I'd waited - when the salesmen avoided their gaze towards me, a phenomenon that many resort to when they realise that they're in the wrong or when they know that they're doing something that's not justifiable!

It's incumbent on the salesgirls and the salesmen, at the counters, that they deal with every customer on an equal footing and must cater to the requirements on a 'first-come-first-serve' basis, without fear or favour. The customers who demand preferential treatment, for whatever reasons, must be told to be part of the queue. Period!



Tailpiece.

Yet another occasion when I realised that decency never pays! People have a tendency to take you for granted!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment