Friday, September 26, 2014

The cost of happiness........it's damn cheap!

My uncle, Kurup kochachan, has been staying with his eldest son ever since the death of my aunt in Oct '11. He used to shift into his daughter's house at Kayamkulam and to his younger son's house at Kochi from time to time but always felt short of the elusive happiness, that he was in search of. Last week, he'd returned to his house at Paravoor with a male nurse to look after him.

I'd called him up a couple of days back to find out as to how he was doing and as to whether the new arrangement suited him. Firstly, the change was palpable as there was a bubbling enthusiasm in his conversation. He went on about the regular walks that he'd embarked upon, the extra energy that comes from within, just because of the fact that he's around familiar surroundings and ended with the final statement and I quote, "Your aunt is around and is taking care of me. I can feel her".

One might laugh it off as an old man's imagination but I'd not like to downplay the feelings. He's actually enjoying every moment of his and I only wish that the arrangement was arrived at, much earlier! His children would be visiting him, in turns, once every week.

Happiness at such low costs! Great!! And I've initiated a plan for the conglomeration of the entire PN Panicker's clan sometime around mid-October at Paravoor to commemorate the occasion. Perhaps, celebrate Diwali there?

           *                                         *                                             *

There's a problem in communication. And because of it I've made the rounds of the local 'Akshaya Center' - the online hub for all major activities like applying/renewal of passport, driving licence, voters' ID card etc, the list is endless - twice and that too without achieving what I'd wanted! My requirement was to migrate our names into the local voters' list as our voters' identity cards are Kochi-rooted, based on our last residential address.

The girls manning the center don't seem to be getting the gist. They look harried though I'd found on both the occasions that the crowd was manageable. Perhaps, they're used to harsh and persistent queries from impatient customers and a soft spoken approach is dealt with, in a lax manner. Is it a case of decency being mistaken for weakness, which is a typical 'Malayalee' failing?

Lekha has agreed to take on the task next time. Phew!!


Tailpiece.

There's gonna be a flurry of guests for the weekend before I'm off for the Foundation's activities, next week. Never a dull moment, huh!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment