Friday, September 5, 2014

Pooped!

We're at Rajapalayam by a half past 5 early morning and after the sprucing up, resumed our journey. Another disaster - though not of the magnitude of the word, as it may sound - in the form of a tyre puncture delayed our arrival at home by a further hour. The entire expenses were quickly calculated and after having handed over our share, we'd got back home where my anxious mom was waiting amid exchanges with the people who'd made it a point to meet her on the eve of Onam.

For her, any delay in departure was late arrival at 'The Quarterdeck' firstly, but more importantly, stressful driving for her son through the dark coupled with the harsh head lights of the oncoming vehicles!

By a half past 1, we'd once again hit the road, the difference this time being that your's truly was behind the wheel of his Chevy. Our first stop was to look up Pidavoor Amma - all of 87 years and my elder brother-in-law's mom - to hand over her 'onakkodi'. She looked frail all right but the way her face had lit up, on seeing us, was priceless! As we drove off, I'd purposely looked into my rear view mirror to see her with folded hands praying for our safe journey, as usual!! And I was convinced that my journey was gonna be smooth!!!

The drive was okay with the traffic being comparatively less at three of the four 'choke points' enroute - the fourth at Aluva taking up almost an hour. It was just a 'grin and bear it' sort of a situation. We'd a light dinner at a decent place, but reaching there had taken some time and poor mom had to hold on for a fairly long time to ease her bladder. A tough proposition for a person of her age! A bad case of time management on my part, but she'd no complaint...... Sorry mom!

By the time we'd reached 'The Quarterdeck', it was a trifle after 11. Didn't realise as to how much tired we all were, as we'd sat down for a warm drink and went through a quick recapitulation of the events of the past 10 days. The satisfying thing was that all the targets set, were achieved and in the process, we could meet quite a lot of people.


Tailpiece.

On the occasion of the 'Teacher's day', my prayers and thoughts are dedicated to all the teachers who'd played their roles in shaping me to what I've become today. I can't thank them enough and would remain indebted to them for their invaluable contributions. I consider myself very fortunate to have been under their tutelage. My prayers for the departed and for the robust health of those that I've the privilege of meeting, every now and then!

And for all the teachers - who happen to be my extended family - 'Bravo Zulu' and here's wishing that you make great strides in your dedicated and noble efforts!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment