Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Pun intended!

  1. I recently got crushed by a pile of books, but I suppose I've only got my shelf to blame.
  2. A man knocked on my door and asked for a small donation for a local swimming pool. So I gave
      him a glass of water.
  3. I had to quit my job at the shoe recycling factory. It was just sole destroying.
  4. I've decided to sell my vacuum cleaner. Well, it was just gathering dust.
  5. Never date a tennis player. Love means nothing to them.
  6. How do prisoners call each other? On their cell phones!
  7. The thing about dwarfs and midgets is that they have very little in common.
  8. To the guy who invented zero. Thanks for nothing!
  9. Did you hear about the man who lost his entire left side in an accident? He's all right now.
10. I couldn't work out how to fasten my seat belt for ages. But then one day, it just clicked.
11. My first job was at a calendar factory. I can't believe they sacked me, all I did was to take a day
      off!

   *                         *                           *

My Chevy at the Service Station.

I was planning to drive my vehicle to the service station as everything seemed, back to normal. The car had responded to the remote control-cum-ignition last Friday, the engine started at the first flick of the ignition and the LED light atop the dash was flickering! But I seemed to have missed out on its not working sometime during the morning today. Lekha and the maid were going to the super market and I'd offered to drop them enroute!

But I had to open the car manually and after getting into the driver's seat, realised that the battery icon was flashing on the dashboard meter. The plan to go together was abandoned and Lekha and her assistant went by an auto rickshaw, instead and I decided to wait for the crane after making a few phone calls to the service station and their helpline.

Sreejith and his understudy, Lawrence were outside, on the main road, by a half past 1. I drove my Chevy to the main road, connected up the towing pendant and had the tow taken on the vehicle's winch. With me behind the wheel, I guided the car through the ramp on to the comparatively low trailer and once in position, the duo had lashed the vehicle down with chocks/straps and nary did it move throughout the 21 odd, bumpy kilometers, thanks to the many potholes.

An hour later, the vehicle was lowered at the service station. What I was impressed with, was the way the crane duo worked as I was sitting in the cabin, along with them. Calls came pouring into Sreejith's cellphone, seeking the crane's assistance to retrieve vehicles, spoiled in the deluge. Polite refusals, a quick calculation of the distances entailed before taking on a job, noting down necessary telephone numbers and passing them on by sms/what'sapp to his drivers - the Janatha Crane Service has four cranes, incidentally - and Lawrence even jotted down certain telephone numbers in a notebook. All these activities were being done while the former was behind the wheel and driving. I told him that I usually do not encourage people using telephones while driving, but since the present occasion warranted his quick responses to people in agony I was granting him that oversight. He'd picked up over Rs.45,000/- worth of jobs during our transit and the tasks covered places like Coimbatore(200 kms), Ernakulam(100 kms), Alappuzha(170 kms) and Chalakkudy(60 kms).

Was quite impressed with the efficient manner in which the duo went about their work and told them that I'd be mentioning about them in my blog. They shook my hands as we took leave of each other and I've told them to get in touch with me in case they required any assistance! Truly, an educative ride with my Chevy sitting cosily behind me!! It cost me 4 grand though!!!


Tailpiece.

At the service station, Sreejith, my adviser, noted down the car's problem and had me dropped at the nearest bus stop for my return trip. The problem will be checked, analysed and sorted out. Only hope that the spares required are available on the shelf. The service station was flooded during the recent deluge and the computer services were yet to be restored and so, the information wasn't available. As of now, the vehicle's delivery is yet to be ascertained!

No comments:

Post a Comment