Thursday, April 25, 2019

At Raj Nivas!

Lekha'd got up at 4 and I followed her half an hour later. Earlier, had got up around a half past 3 to reduce water levels when I could feel my mom's presence. Was it all my imagination? I don't think so because mom used to be very excited when we went on a journey and if it was towards Raj Nivas, her joy knew no bounds!

I went through my prayers as sleep took its own time to come back! We were ready by a quarter past 6 and left soon after. I'd a last minute change of heart and took the Thrissur route. Picked up the day's newspapers from the vendor, Shankar, soon after the railway level cross and his reaction on sighting me was, "So sir, you're off again on a long trip? When will you be back?" When I told him that I was returning on 02 May, did he feel sad? Or was it all my imagination? Because why should he feel so when we meet up only once in a blue moon?

Our first stop was at the Ananda Bhavan, at Chalakudy for breakfast. Today, I'd made a departure from my eating habits and did taste the chutney given along with the dosa; Lekha, too, had the same menu but, of course, sans the filter coffee! The journey was blemishless and we'd lunch at the Bayleaf Restaurant at Kayankulam.

We reached Kottarakkara by 1500 hrs and my kid sister, Mini and Sanil were also there, doing shopping to stock up the Raj Nivas for our gastronomic needs for the entire week. We were at Raj Nivas by 1530 hrs and electricity was yet to be available after last evening's bad weather of heavy rain coupled with high velocity winds! The resumption of the dish TV, consequently, took its own time!!

I spent time at my parents' cremation sites and had briefed them about our programme. It was a nice feeling. We'd a fairly manageable footfall of friends and relatives this evening and it was a great occasion to bond once again. Sanil's culinary efforts were the hallmark for the lovely supper which was boisterous. The caretaker's remarks, "Sir, it's great to have you all back and to have the house thrumming as during the days of old!" And Mini reminded us that yesterday - 24 Apr - was the 51st anniversary of the housewarming of 'Raj Nivas'!


Tailpiece.

Election Cacophonics.

1. The Civic Bodies' Woes.

    Most of the civic bodies have a tough task ahead to get the political parties to remove poll
    materials - includes bill boards, banners and hoardings - from the constituencies. This is despite
    the fact that the political parties had announced a clean and green poll!

    We've to watch as to whether the political parties will do what they'd promised.

2. Opposition Moves Supreme Court.

    21 opposition parties, led by N Chandrababu Naidu moved the Supreme Court saying that the
    2% increase in random matching of VVPAT slips with EVMs would not achieve the purpose
    of raising public confidence in the integrity of the election process. At this juncture, one cannot
    forget the hesitation on the part of those who called it foul on the EVMs, during voting, because
    of the fear of landing up in jail if their allegations were proved to be false!

    Is it the fear of failure that's worrying Naidu and gang? 

No comments:

Post a Comment