Saturday, May 16, 2020

29 years back......

29 years back, on this day - 16 May 91, Lekha had come into my life at a simple ceremony at the Brahmana Samooham Hall beside the Kottarakkara Maha Ganapathi kshethram. The ceremony, as in all Nair weddings, was a short one but the customs and traditions that were followed, both, before and after the wedding ceremony were quaint, yet beautiful; each had a meaning and purpose that added to the glitter of the marriage!

I can never forget what Mrs. PN Panicker - my maternal grandmother - told me after the ceremony was over and we were waiting for lunch to be served. "I'm glad that I have been able to attend your wedding. Now, I don't mind going away". And exactly, 69 days later, she would pass into the mist of time. Wasn't her utterance prophetic? It still rankles in my ears!

All of us returned to our house, Raj Nivas, by about 1530 hrs as per the charted muhurat at which the daughter-in-law was to enter the house. The entire PN Panicker family was in attendance and there was fun and frolic in the house, all through the evening! I remember Santhan kochachhan's advice for me regarding our first night! Mom and dad were happy that I'd, finally, settled down.

      *                     *                      *

Returned to Chilka a few days after and was slated to report at the DSSC, Wellington for the 47th Staff Course wef from Jun '91. Had come on leave for the wedding and therefore, did not take Lekha along with me to Chilka; instead showed the video coverage of the wedding to my friends and members of the staff during my short stay out there before returning, lock, stock and barrel to my home first and subsequently, to the Staff College.

      *                      *                       *

Many of the protagonists, who were at the wedding, have passed into the mist of time, over the years. Ammachi, Muthachhan, Achhan, Amma, Leela kunjamma, Santhan kochachhan, Vichani kunjamma, Lekha's mom, step mom and dad and quite a few others, dear to us, are no more with us.

       *                      *                       *

The day had begun thinking about all of them as I lit the lamp in the puja room. Earlier, on getting up, we'd wished each other. Our close family called us up to wish many happy returns. Calls from classmates and course mates kept pouring in, all through the day and it gave a nice feeling of being part of a huge family.

Suma had wished us on arrival and the cake had come by at 9. I was ready by a half past 9. After going through the day's work, the cake was cut at 1200 hrs. Suma took a few of the shots on mine and Lekha's cellphones.

The telephone kept ringing and messages piled up in the inboxes! It was a day of nice memories!!


Tailpiece.

Another quiet day with not much of activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment