Monday, May 25, 2020

Corona Travelogue.

The Migrant Malady Version II : Ground report far away from media stories.

17 May 2020.

It was my Day Number 57 in Delhi at my dear friend's place. My workplace being in Agartala, I was one among the millions 'Lock down Struck' Indian who was stuck in Delhi awaiting some transportation that carried me back. With the decision by the Government that flights resumption wasn't to start in the foreseeable future came my resolve that I needed to start back for Agartala on my own.

This had regularly struck my mind during last fortnight (Lock down 3.0) but what prevented me driving my way back was the image of the country that one had built over days of following media......that being chaos on roads, migrant workers turning violent in absence of support, arson, loot etcetera.

The fact that I needed to travel with my wife and twin teenage daughters across Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal naxal belt made my decision a favourite object of my well wishers' criticism.

Nonetheless, on the evening of 17 May 20, the positive desperation of heading back to my home overpowered the long carried apprehension, as I packed my bag for this adventurous journey back home. On the morning of 18 May, my dear friend who had been my host for the last two months, dropped me at Agra in his SUV. In Agra, I took a Maruti Swift, that belonged to an employee of my company. The car was incidentally stuck with the car transporter who was unable to tranship it to Agartala for the last two months under the conditions that prevailed.

My journey from Agra started and I travelled across Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya and Tripura to finally reach Agartala, covering 2,400 km over three nights and four days.

My experience was vivid and revealing on many counts. I came across hundreds of care centers across UP and Bihar meant for the migrant labourers set up by social organisations (including the RSS), political parties, local leaders and NGOs. Then there were hoards of volunteers distributing water and eatables to those travelling and were needy out of their car boots!.......all this while it rained or was avoidably hot and humid.

Over the last few days, I smoothly crossed across seven state borders. This statistically meant travelling across 25% Indian States. I witnessed the sheer professionalism and dedication of the Governments of Assam and Tripura; by the way they are handling the incoming population and transients. Everyone I found was courteous and respectful. I, finally, reached my destination yesterday feeling prouder as an Indian, deeply impressed with our response mechanisms and state of affairs during this Pandemic.

The lessons that I learnt for three nights, four days road journey were few, nonetheless need to be shared :-

 (a) There is an urgent need to have some positive news reporting and avoid migrant workers as
      villains. Even in the face of such distressing conditions, I found helpful hands and smiling faces.
      With every single bad report of something gone wrong somewhere, there are hundreds of things
      going right!

      They need to be reported for the population to draw a correct picture and take positive decisions.

 (b) Don't draw conclusions watching motivated news stories or some videos over social media. Law
       and Order on the roads, isn't bad.

 (c) Police across states is geared up and selflessly render duty and enforce crowd control measures.

 (d) Road conditions in India have improved over the years. With or without traffic, maintaining an
       average of 65-70 kmph across all states wasn't possible otherwise. Road trip is a way to go in
       such a situation, considering the social distancing norms.

That's all...May we all beat the VIRUS with positive thoughts and a brave, confident response.

Good Luck and Godspeed!

A proud and confident Indian.

Source. What'sApp.

    *                        *                            *

Did you know this?

The evolution of the word Pandemic.

On an average, the Panda feeds for 15 hours a day. This is the same as an adult at home under quarantine, which is why we call it a "Pandemic".


Tailpiece.

Got up at our usual time, the chores and was ready by 9. The grocers delivered our demand and the Geeyem guys have said that my Chevy should be ready by tomorrow evening. Phew!

It rained in short bursts but the heat was unbearable! Suma left the house, after work, by 1830 hrs. 



      

No comments:

Post a Comment