Saturday, September 5, 2020

Remembering a few of my teachers.

Today is yet another Teacher's Day. The teachers have a very important role to play in the upbringing of their students. I'm gonna try to remember those teachers who have created a lasting impression in my life through their winsome ways and their genuine concerns for the well being of their students.

1. The Naval Primary School, Colaba, Bombay - 1960-Nov '63.

(a) Ms Sosamma. She was my class teacher during the Kindergarten. I remember her insisting that I took part in all the skits and games during class hours. And yes, the many nursery rhymes that I know by heart, even to this day, was thanks to her efforts. 

(b) Ms Fernandez. She was my class teacher in class III and liked me because I was 1st in class, my handwriting was good and I'd no hesitation in answering questions when VIPs(Those days it was only VIPs and the word VVIPs was introduced much later!) used to visit, telling my class fellows to hand over my notebooks for the guest's perusal! I was convinced that she was in love with me! She'd tears in her eyes when I left the school in Nov '63.

Incidentally, my mother was a teacher in the school from 1960-May '62 when my second kid sister was born. 

2. The Holy Angels' Convent, Thiruvananthapuram - 1960-Mar '65.

Sister Anne.

She used to be another teacher who found the good points in me and had helped me in developing them. I still remember the fragrance that emanated from her habit. She was a very fine teacher.

3. The Model School, Thiruvananthapuram - 1965- '66.

Pallipad Bhaskaran Nair. He was a fine master and above all, a strict disciplinarian. He used to teach very well and he was my class teacher. Much into my days with him did he come to know that I was PN Panicker's grandson and from then on, he'd made it very clear that he wouldn't let me off if I were to commit any mistake.

4. Sainik School, Kazhakootam - Jan 1967-May '72. 

(a) Mr AP Soans. I was assigned to Class A throughout my stay in school. He was our English teacher and he was an instructor par excellence. During the evening breaks, he used to teach us familiar English numbers while he played the piano. A great gentleman who also took part in games with us.

(b) Mr N Balakrishnan Nair. Popularly known as NBN. Our Chemistry teacher who taught us the subject very well. He'd also tell us about the qualities that we needed to imbibe in us to progress in life. He was a strict disciplinarian and continued to nurture us, through the Old Boys' association.

(c) Ms Saraswathy Amma. She'd joined school along with us and used to teach Biology. A very thorough teacher and was very kind towards the students. I was first in Biology with 72 marks, during the first exam that she'd conducted and she has been fond of me ever since. 

(d) Mr KK Muthanna. A jolly-good-fellow and my first House Master when I was assigned into the Prasad House. He and his wife, the late Ms Gauri Muthanna mentored us in our early days at school.

(e) Mr CV Sankaranarayanan. If I grew fond of Maths, it was because of his way of teaching the subject. During my final 21/2 years at school, I was at first, a Prefect during 1969-'70 and the House Captain of the No.5 Dormitory of which he was the House Master. He mentored me during the period.

(f) Dr A Samuel Raj. Always smartly turned out in whites, he was a great teacher who used to take Social Studies for us. Very methodical in his teaching, he ensured that every student picked up everything that he taught. His wife, Ms Thangam Samuel Raj mentored many of us giving us tips to clean and hygienic living. He left for Ooty in 1969 to take over as the Principal of the Breek's Memorial School.

(g) Mr BC Pande. Our Hindi teacher from Nainital, who always wore starched cotton whites. Thin and lanky, he was fond of his students. Still his 'Mantaakranta ma, bha, na, thaa, thu, ga, ga" ring in my mind. A strict disciplinarian and I can never forget him thanking me for standing 1st in his subject for the Higher Secondary Examinations!

Whenever we go to Thiruvananthapuram, we often stay with my classmate, Suresh Laxman and his wife, Sindhu. During the those times it's a privilege to interact with Mr K Madhavan Nair. He brings back memories of our halcyon days and his booming voice has not lost its edge despite his advancing years. He looks forward to such interactions, he says!

5. The University College for Men, Thiruvananthapuram - Jun-Dec '72.

Mr Vishnu Narayanan Namboodiri. His English classes was were always a treat to attend. He was also fond of me because I got good marks in the subject.

6. NDA - Jan 1973-Dec '75.

(a) Mr AB Santram. A thorough gentleman and a teacher whose only interest was to see that his students did well in the Chinese language of which he was the head. He had a fantastic sense of humour and was fond of me because I'd done extremely well in the Prelims. Years later, when I reached the NDA as a Directing Staff, I can never forget the welcome that he gave me when I'd visited him.

(b) Mr CR Rajan. Our instructor in Military History and his lectures were very interesting. Though he looked very serious and was a strict disciplinarian, he was interested in the well being of his students. Students sleeping during his classes were unheard of.

(c) Mr SH Husseiny. The quiet and affable Maths teacher was a person who insisted upon each and every student understanding whatever he had taught. He took it upon himself to provide assistance to the weak students of the class and never tired of repeating a sum to facilitate comprehension. 

(d) Atma Singh PO. At the NTT(Naval Training Team), his words "Shiri A becomes kheema", while teaching us boat work to emphasise of the perils of sitting between the hauling blocks (Used for hoisting/lowering the boat) and the stem/stern of the boat, if one of them were to par is still drilled into my brain. His explanations had a rustic simplicity that made the student grasp the details!

7. On board the old INS Delhi as cadets - Spring '77.

Prithviraj MCPO GI. A mild mannered gentleman but a strict disciplinarian. He'd a way of bringing the naughtiest of the cadets to his scheme of things without shouting or ranting. He used to explain things with a mix of English and Hindi and used to be a worried man - making sure that nothing went wrong -  when we, as cadets, did difficult seamanship exercises

I've spoken about those teachers with whom I'd direct interaction but there were many other teachers who'd also played a significant part in my overall growth because they were in the same environment that I was in. I remember each one of them and say a little prayer for making me what I am today.

I consider myself lucky for having been nurtured by some of the finest teachers! They don't make them teachers like them anymore!

Tailpiece.

Got up at 6, the chores and was ready by a half past 9. It was a quiet day, otherwise.

Took part in the Foundation's 'Aazhchakkoottam' which had the former Indian Ambassador to the US, Mr TP Srinivasan, talking about 'The current conflict between India and China'.

We had a Zoom get together of our course mates - the 49th course - from 1945 to 2100 hrs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment