Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Adieu Ayoor Amme!

Padmavathy Amma - aka as Ayoor Amma because she stays there - passed into the mist of time around a half past 10 in the morning, yesterday. She is my younger sister, Mini's mom-in-law and was all of 82 yrs when the end came about. Sheela, her second daughter-in-law who's staying with her, had given her a dosa for breakfast. Post-breakfast, she was cleaned up and all of a sudden, her head tilted to a side and she was gone. A doctor, from the neighbourhood, was summoned and he confirmed that she had breathed her last.

She was a DEO when she'd retired years earlier and had a wide circle of admirers for the singular fact that she was a good teacher. Her husband, the late Gangadharan Pillai - he'd passed away in 2010 due to cancer - was also a teacher, by profession. They were a popular couple and used to have guests round-the-clock in their house! And of course, they were staunch communists!! They have three sons viz. Sanil, Anil and Jayan, in their order of 'seniority'.

I'd first met her sometime during the latter half of 1991, when she and her son, Sanil had dropped by at our place, Raj Nivas. The boy and the girl met and the mother was impressed by the fact that her son would be marrying PN Panicker's granddaughter. The preparations for their wedding were on in full swing and the event took place at a pandal, in our courtyard, on 27 May '92. Much later she told me that she was also happy that Mini had a good(?) brother in me!

She was with us at A-73, Tarangini Apartments at Kochi, during Mar '93, when Mini had given birth to Ammu. She had grown very fond of Lekha and our daily routine by then and was quite sad when Lekha had fallen seriously ill during the latter half of the year. My mom and Surgeon Commander Sanjay Goil were also present, that evening, when Ammu had come into this world.

She used to feel quite shy when I used to hug her and plant a kiss on her forehead after touching her feet, a practice that I followed every time we met, even during our last meeting on 24 Jan this year, after my nephew, Achu's engagement. Though she looked alert, she'd difficulty in recollecting past events but was all smiles and spoke in monosyllables. I used to get regular inputs about her health from my sister who resides at Bangalore. 

I'd seen her look very, very sad when she saw my mom's body lying in state on the morning of 05 Sep 2016. During a break in the ceremonies, she came and held my hand to say, "Do not worry, we are all here for you!" 

I remember Ayoor Amma's sad and confused looks when her third son, Jayan passed away a few years back due to cirrhosis of the liver. I shall never forget her words then and I quote, "He, who was supposed to carry out my last rites has gone away much before me". It took a bit of effort and time to put her at ease as I'd to leave early to catch the late night bus to return to Guruvayur. I realised that something deep within her had snapped, forever, that evening!

Her house will never be the same without her. Her hospitality - with tremendous persuasive powers to make one partake the delicacies on her dining table - was legendary.  

RIP Ayoor Amme. My salute, tears and prayers for the wonderful lady that you were, who'd given me unrestricted love. It's my fond hope that all the members of our family have the strength to tide over your irreparable loss and these stressful times.


Tailpiece.

Got up at 6, the chores and was ready by a half past 9.

Ayoor Amma had become memory by a quarter past 10 as flames consumed the pyre. Earlier, Sanil and Mini had fetched up at Ayoor, from Bangalore, around a half past 2 late at night.

Participated in the webinar : "Using Technologies to Achieve Inclusive Education" by Mr Alphons Kannanthanam, Former Union minister for Culture and Tourism from 1700 - 1800 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment