Saturday, July 31, 2021

Weird Military Habits That Stick With You.

...........Long after you leave the service.

1. Keeping short hair.
Can't have hair growing over ears or collar.

2. Attention to detail.
.....and performing a task to standard.

3. Eating quickly.
Veterans could eat an entire dinner during a commercial break.

4. Your vehicle bug-out bag.
Even if you don't have this, you think you need to get one.

5. They walk fast.
They walk with a purpose, as if their trip to the shopping mart is actually a Ministry of Defence briefing!

6. They are unbelievably punctual.
1900 hours, for them, can become 1855 hours but not 1905 hours.

7. Shouting on the passenger seat.
That includes instructing the driver in a little louder voice.

       *       *       *

Never Forget The Goalkeepers of Your Life.

In Dec 1937, a match between Chelsea and Charlton football clubs at the Stamford Bridge Stadium London was stopped in the 60th minute due to heavy fog. Charlton's legendary goalkeeper Sam Bartram remained unaware and kept on guarding the goal 15 minutes after the game had stopped, as he did not hear referee's whistle because of the crowd behind his goalpost. He stood there with his arms out stretched and completely focused, looking forward so as not to be surprised by the opponent's shots. 15 minutes later, when the stadium police approached him and informed him that the match had been abandoned. Sam Bartram said these famous words with great sorrow "how sad that my friends forgot me when I was guarding their goal post". There are so many players in the field of life whose goal post one defends with enthusiasm and support but when the situation becomes like a wave of fog, they walk out of field and leave.....Always pay attention to goalkeepers of your life. Never abandon the the one guarding your goal post.  

     *       *        *

How Old Were You.....

* How old were you when you realised that the word "HOSPITAL" stands for "House Of Sick People Including Treatment and Labour"?

* How old were you when you realised the word "POLICE" stands for "Public Officer for Legal Investigations and Criminal Emergencies"?

      *       *       * 

A Red, Red Rose

O my Luve is like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve is like the melody
That's sweetly played in tune.

So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only luve!
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my luve,
Though it were then thousand mile.

- Robert Burns


Tailpiece.

Got up around 6, the chores and was ready by a half past 9. The morning sky looked as though it would rain all through the day but by about 11 o'clock, the sun was out and it remained a bright, sunny day for the rest of the time.

Sent my musings of July before having my forty winks!

A quiet evening thereafter.





No comments:

Post a Comment