Friday, December 10, 2021

'Masalchi' in Army life.

In my early days in the Army, I was once detailed as a member of a Board to carry out a review of the existing TO & E (Table of Organisation and Equipment). It was quite an education because I came to know the complete details of manpower, equipment and weapons authorised to a Field Artillery Unit. However, I could not understand the logic of having a "Masalchi" in the Officers Mess whereas the cookhouse for other ranks, which catered for a very large dining strength did not have a "Masalchi"!

I asked a few colleagues and some seniors but everyone said, "One Masalchi less or more does not effect the combat efficiency of a unit - so just forget it".

This nagging thought stayed with me till I retired from the Army. Then, one day as I was going through a novel, "Ravi Lancers" by Brig John Masters (Retd), I came across a passage in which, the Mess Sergeant, in preparation of a Dinner for the General Officer Commanding, tells the "Mashalchi" to have all the Kerosene lamps filled with fragrant oil as well as fix new wicks.

It then dawned on me that the "Masalchi" was actually "Mashalchi" whose task in the pre-electricity days was to account for and maintain all the lamps in the Officers Mess. The lamps gave way to modern era electric lights and the "Mashalchi" became "Masalchi" and continues till today!

Interesting, isn't it?

    *      *      *

Lady, You are Power

A moment which a soldier never wants to be part of ie. to bid adieu to your chief one last time. Attended last rites of Gen Bipin Rawat and Madhulika Rawat and found all eyes around moist yet filled with pride.

But what I found and reason of sharing here is the courage which I have never witnessed in my life.

Two Veer Naris, Mrs Lidder and Mrs Harjinder.....having suffered the biggest loss of their lives attended the last rites of Mrs and Gen Rawat.

Mrs Lidder having cremated her husband in the same Brar Square 5 hours back were standing solid, unshaken to be a support to the General's daughters.

Mrs harjinder whose husband's mortal remains are still in R&R Hospital for identification have preferred to be a support system for the General's daughters from the last two days knowing well that her entire world has collapsed.

I have never witnessed such courage in my soldiering life.

Only a 'fauji' wife can do it!

With deep respect!


Tailpiece.

Lekha had got up at 5 to rustle up packed breakfast for Suma kunjamma and I followed her, 10' later. We left the house by a quarter past 6 and Kittu made sad meows thinking that we were out on yet another journey. He realised his misgivings when Lekha told him that she wasn't accompanying us!

The Ernakulam passenger, was on the second platform and I bid farewell to my Ma'asi and returned. She got the Jan Shatabdi bound for Thiruvananthapuram, from Thrissur, at a half past 8.

Monitored the live coverage of the final journey of the Rawats on television.

Another quiet day. Helped Lekha in watering the plants in the evening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment