Thursday, February 29, 2024

A service officer's day.

I am an infantry officer who got married to a girl from a total non fauji background.

On joining the unit after marriage, she observed my routine.

My getting up early in the morning, leave at a quarter to 6 to join PT in white shirt, white half trousers, white socks and white PT shoes.

Return by 7.

Quick bath, change to OG uniform with well polished brass ranks on shoulder flaps, well polished and shining brass of the belt, black shining shoes.

A quick breakfast and 45 minutes later, there I go to the unit, take lectures of men during the training.

Complete office work, return home around a half past 2 or so.

Change for a short while in pyjama and kurta after lunch.

Get up at a quarter to 4, change to sports dress, join sports in the unit.

Return around 6 or so, change to mess dress. Wear black Oxford pattern shoes and Mess dress for a dinner night.

More or less such was routine. In mess parties wife accompanied me.

One day my sister-in-law rang my wife up and probably asked my wife as to what sort of work or job Jija jee does in the office.

To which my wife said (I was overhearing), "I do not know what all he does in the office but like ladies he keeps changing the clothes/dresses throughout the day.


Tailpiece.

Got up at 5, the chores and was ready by a quarter past 6 to drop Ammayi and Chambu at the Sri Chithira Thirunal Institute to attend to Maman's CT scan.

Was at the Foundation at a quarter to 7.

Pumped out my February mail by a half past 12.

Maman got himself discharged from the hospital by a half past 5. It was great to have him back and to hear his voice reverberating within the Foundation!

A quiet evening. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment