Sunday, September 4, 2011

Down memory lane.

I'd the pleasure of attending the wedding of young Leah this morning. I must let in on a small secret of mine that I love to attend the church weddings. The innards of the church have a uniqueness coupled with a sense of time coming to a standstill, albeit for that short period! And more importantly, the priest in attendance sermonises the young couple as to how to live happily as man and wife. He also reiterates the responsibilities of the two families coming together thanks to the sacred union.

Comparatively, the priests who conduct the 'Nair' weddings are literally silent. Is it because the Nair boasts that he's a know all?

Leah's dad was in my House, years back in school. I happened to be his House Captain and hence feel that I too have had a role in his upbringing, a fact that he graciously accepts! I remember him being very emotional since he put his heart and soul into everything he did. In one particular instance, it took all my efforts to pacify an inconsolable Sam for having lost a football match!! And amongst his classmates, he was spirited, active and articulated his thoughts pretty well.

Over two decades back, I'd attended his wedding and as his daughter's wedding got underway I was glad that I could be with him during another momentous occasion in his life. On completion of the Mass, as he came to thank the people he shook hands with most but when it came to my turn, he gave me a bear hug. I felt privileged and I'd like to believe that it was his way of telling me that I was someone special in his life! Thanks Sam, you'd indeed made my day!



No comments:

Post a Comment