Thursday, September 15, 2011

Much ado about nothing! Or is there something after all?

It has become usual practice amongst my classgroup to leave the coordination of getting guys together for an occasion to yours truly. Not that I mind it because it keeps me looped with everyone and quite a few of them has said that they do not have the heart to refuse an invitation from me - a compliment that I wear on my sleeve!

In the process of invitation, I've found that many guys call themselves off diplomatically by quoting previous appointments but confide that they'd rather give a particular individual the miss and the reason's not hard to find - some sort of indiscretion on the part of the guest, while at school, had broken the relationship. But what I find amazing is that the grudge is being nursed even after so many years!! I've tried to reason with many, that, at school one might have tread on each other's toes without the back up of sound logic leading to prudent behaviour because the name of the game, then, was 'the survival of the fittest'. To my amazement, many a time, my reasoning had fallen on deaf ears.

I'm one who can boast of my ability to interact with each and everyone of my classmates from school and my coursemates from the Academy. Guys have been nice to have heeded to my requests even at the shortest notice. At this point I'd be kidding if I did not confess to the fact that I've fought bitterly with quite a few of them and become 'enemies' only to reconcile and make up, soon after! I've had my fair share of idiosyncrasies, three of which were listed by a classmate recently in his list of things that he remembered of schooldays and I quote him below, with my rejoinders in brackets:-
(a) I used to be jealous of his 'print' like handwriting(genetic inheritance and I'd no hand in it).
(b) He used to concentrate during evening study periods while people like me waited eagerly for the session to come to a speedy end(by doing so I was spared of burning the midnight oil just before exams).
(c) He used to have a handkerchief in his pocket always(our matron had issued a diktat on the matter right at the start of our stay and frankly, I didn't want to run afoul of her).

Tomorrow evening, we've a Canada based classmate of ours, alongwith his family, spending some time in the city and we're trying to rustle up an impromptu get together. I've not lost hopes yet to get the entire lot to attend, so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment