Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Onam's here!

Finally, Onam 2011 is here.

Tomorrow's the famed 'Uthrada paachil' - a euphemism for the mallu's last minute scramble to have all the things associated with the celebrations in place, by making a quick visit to the market for last minute purchases! Tomorrow's the first day of Onam viz. Uthradom - known by the star as per the Malayalam calendar and on Friday is 'Thiruvonam', the highlight and the most important day of the many!

Being in Kerala at this period of time, after a long lapse, I've told myself that I'd be a keen observer of every minute thing that happens in the name of this wonderful festival that's celebrated by every Malayalee, irrespective of caste, creed or religion. However, the prevalent enthusiasm has been so infectious that it has pulled me into its vortex with consummate ease and no, I do not mind being a participant either! It's a fantastic opportunity to meet up with friends and relatives.

So, I'm wishing myself a 'happy Onam'.


Tailpiece.

Having said that, the bomb blast within the premises of the Delhi High Court this morning has brought in bad tidings. One's heart goes out to those people who're in it and the video grabs of dazed looks and badly mutilated parts of human bodies have been horrific and distressing.

Celebrating Onam against that backdrop makes one feel guilty and it goes without saying that the celebrations would be muted. As per earlier arrangements, I'd be visiting the 'Pazhani temple' on pilgrimage with my immediate family and will say my prayers for the unfortunate ones who've been affected.

I bow, in pain, to the memory of the departed souls!

No comments:

Post a Comment