Thursday, September 29, 2011

Yours truly - the mediator!

A classmate of mine from school, gleefully announced the betrothal of his daughter the other day and I'd promised to keep that date in mid October for the family.

A day later, I was pleasantly surprised to get a call from another classmate of mine with whom I haven't been in touch for quite a while. But, he was doing so now because his nephew was the would-be-bridegroom in the case mentioned above and wanted to sound a warning bugle against the impending relationship. What he was perturbed about was that when the entire tie up was being formalised on the classmates' net, he'd expected the parents to be more forthcoming about the boy's antecedents. And he was tapping me to resolve the issue since yours truly was acceptable to both the sides!

While I feel nice about them having tremendous faith in my 'mediating abilities', as I watch the drama unfold I can foresee that I'm gonna make one side unhappy which makes me wish that I'd never got into this sticky situation.

Reminds me of the plight of Ulysses in the Greek mythology 'Iliad', when he was left with no other alternative but to take a choice between 'Scylla' - a sea monster and 'Charybdis' - a whirlpool during his long voyage across the seven seas, soon after the famous 'Trojan War'! And the story goes that Ulysses chose the latter and came unscathed!!

Wonder what lies in store for me? But it's my fond hope that I'd be able to satisfy both the parties - er, to the extent feasible!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment