Friday, September 6, 2013

In search of an 'ampule cutter'!

Sister Grace, who comes to our house every Tuesday and Saturday to administer injections on my mom, has been having a tough time to open up the injection ampule made of glass. Usually she comes in just before she's rushing off to the hospital for joining up on duty. Last Tuesday, she had spent quite a bit of her 'rush hour' in prying the damn thing open.

She'd 'gracefully' agreed to administer the injections on my request and consequently, I felt that I was duty bound to make her job easy with a minimum lapse of time at my place. My mom would be readied after her morning routines, bath and breakfast followed by medicines just to ensure that the kind sister didn't lose any of her valuable time. Seeing her predicament using one of the kitchen knives, I'd asked her as to how I could help her to sort out this vexed issue and she'd said that she'd get an 'ampule cutter' from the hospital during her next visit. However, I decided to solve the problem myself.

This evening while on my walk, I'd asked the pharmacist whom I frequent, as to where I could get the coveted(?) instrument and had imposed two conditions. It had to be a shop that sold medical equipment and the shop had to be within the limits of my walking route so that I could possess it by the end of my exercise schedule! Thankfully, there was one such shop that required my detour only by a short distance and the pharmacist did explain its location to the minutest detail.

As I walked home with the instrument @ Rs.25/-, I was happy to have achieved an unachievable milestone - so I thought - and hummed the number, though totally unconnected with the situation:-

        "Everybody was Kung Fu fighting
         Those kids were fast as lightning
         In fact, it was a little bit frightening
         But they did it with expert timing.....

         O ho ho ho ho ho....ha.....o ho ho ho ho ho
         O ho ho ho ho ho....ha.....o ho ho ho ho ho

         China Kung Fu man, Kung Fu China man....."


Tailpiece.

At least Sister Grace would not have to labour unnecessarily when she comes by tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment