Thursday, September 5, 2013

Teacher's day.

On the occasion of the 'Teacher's Day' today, I'd like to remember all my teachers who'd taken great pains to nurture me and ensured that I would imbibe the right values as I grew under their watchful eyes. I've heard stories from people who're bitter about their experiences with a few of their teachers and I could only sympathise with their misfortune. I can unhesitatingly say that all my teachers of the different schools and institutions - the portals of which I'd the privilege to pass through - were worthy ladies and gentlemen who'd the healthy growth of their students uppermost in their minds.

My silent prayers for those who've passed into the mist of time, my prayers and good wishes to the rest with an earnest appeal to god to give them a healthy and trouble free life. And to all my friends who've chosen the noble profession of teaching, my good wishes and the reiteration that every achievement of yours delights me, because it shows your dedication and earnestness towards your profession.

And now, I shall go back in time to my days at the Academy to remember three instructors - there were many but for starters I shall concentrate on these fine gentlemen - who'd nurtured me and liked me despite the pranks that I'd played on them:-

   (a) Mr. AB Santram.

   My Chinese instructor whom none of us had ever seen to be angry. He used to persistently insist upon us
   to learn and enjoy the use of the language. It was he who'd told me that my name in the language would be
   'Lajiwa'(pronounced Laachiwa, meaning 'the bearer of good luck') and I can never forget the happiness
   writ large on his face on seeing my results in the 'prelims'. And there was an occasion, on one of the
   'foreign language dinners'(used to be held in rotation at the 'Cadets' Mess, where the students broke bread
   together and spoke only in the language for the entire duration, under the watchful eyes of the instructor!)
   when he'd taken great pains to help me in the use of chopsticks and the clumsy guy that I was, took an
   awfully long time to take in the nuances!

   Subsequently, on my getting back to the Academy as a member of the Directing Staff, I'd the privilege of
   interacting with him more often and brush up the language. I used to eagerly look forward to those trysts as
   I was the beneficiary of a wonderful education!

    (b) Dr. SH Hussainy.

    A dignified and quiet instructor of Maths, who took me through the intricate world of Differentiation and
    Integration as I fumbled quite often in their intricacies. I can never forget the time when he'd taken upon
    himself to help me with extra coaching when my marks at one of the unit tests were far from encouraging.
    His concerted efforts had yielded results and I can never forget the thrill that he showed at my enhanced
    performance.

    I'd the privilege of interacting with him subsequently on my posting back to the Academy and had a lump
    in my throat when he'd recalled my personal number and squadron. I can never forget that glint in his eye
    during the occasion - too small and trivial to be remembered by him!

     (c) Company Havildar Major S Gurung.

      He was our 'drill ustad' and addressed me as 'Rajvir'. On the drill square, during instructions, it used to
      be the reason for my course mates' ribbing when he ordered, "Ab peeche mur ka word of command
      dega, Rajvir". I can never forget the time when he'd come and hugged me for having cleared the 'drill
      square test' in the first chance during my first term.

      That gave me the privilege of shedding the armband with my personal number inscribed on it for a
      lanyard, with the added privilege of going to the city on weekend 'liberty'! And yes, Gurung saab's
      Hindi was worse than mine. His oft repeated words while taking permission from his immediate
      superior, Nayub Subedar Shyam Singh were, "Saab, mein ja rahi hoon". The retort from N/Sub
      Shyam Singh - with a wink at us - was even more humorous, "Aap ja rahi hai tho jao".


Tailpiece.

How do I convey my feelings to those gentlemen who'd contributed so much towards my evolution in life?

I shall ever remain indebted to you for looking after me. Thank you, sirs. Thanks indeed!    

No comments:

Post a Comment