Wednesday, September 11, 2013

When nothing went right.

There are certain days when nothing goes right and for me, today, was one such day. Though there's an initial tendency to break the deadlock, come what may, the sequence of events - and they've this conspiratorial way of going bad, one after the other, leaving one gasping for dear breath - tends to overwhelm! What I do on such occasions, is to become philosophical and wait for the sorry phase to pass without trying to be uptight about the changing schedule of my carefully planned itinerary!!

The morning had begun on a nice note and I was looking forward to a hectic day as mom had to be taken to the ophthalmologist for which a prior appointment had been taken. I was trying to get back home after work and had almost reached the railway level cross when it closed in front of me. Now, this gate has a peculiarity that I've observed over time - when I'm homeward bound, the railway station about 700 mts ahead, northward, is to my left. There's an inordinately long delay for the trains from the station, to pass by and the gate correspondingly takes longer to open! And there's no such delay for the trains headed on the reciprocal!! Today was one such afternoon and I could only twiddle my thumbs, literally, during the wait. And it took more than a half hour before I could continue.

The result was that we could reach the hospital a few minutes after the scheduled appointment and by then, the doctor had moved into the OT to oversee a surgery. It was he who'd done the cataract surgery on both her eyes in May '11 and she was keen that he saw her and therefore, it turned out to be a long wait. Getting her eyes prepared for the clinical examination, an impromptu scan since the doctor couldn't find anything wrong on the initial inspection but taking note of her complaint of frequent pain in her right eye(thanks to her recent fall, perhaps?), the final diagnosis along with the corrective actions followed by placing an order for a pair of new set of glasses, took over three hours. The intermittent waits had also begun to irritate her but the doctor's final piece of conversation with her, thankfully, put all that aside.

It took a long while to manoeuver the car through the busy thoroughfare in front of the Eye hospital, since it was evening rush hour, speeding motorists getting back to their homes after work weren't in any mood for accommodation and hence, a 'u' turn to get us back home materialised after what seemed to be eons fraying my already 'disturbed' nerves!

It was only after getting back home and hitting my familiar 'walking circuit', soon after, that things had settled down. Phew!


Tailpiece.

Remembered Mac Murphy's famous piece, "If anything has to go wrong, it will!" But the bottom line was that I could finish doing everything that I'd wanted to.     

No comments:

Post a Comment