Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mom has changed. So it seems.

1. I'm at my mom's feet. I mean I'm punching these thoughts into the keyboard while she's in deep slumber on the bed.

2. I've been observing her for the past few days that she's been with us, after returning from my sister's place. The changes have surprised me because the qualities that she exhibits now is far from what her real personality is, that I and the folks close to her are aware of. Does advancing age bring about radical changes in an individual because the body tries to adjust itself to the accompanying infirmities? I shall now list out the changes to make out some sense of the changed behavioural pattern:-

    (a) Tends to withdraw into her shell a bit too often. She used to be involved with anything and everything
          that was happening around her!
    (b) Never attends the telephone. She used to attend all the calls herself and give her opinions, directives or
          just listen to the caller as the situation demanded. Probably, this has been brought about because she             has difficulty in hearing but she refuses to use her hearing aid saying that it's irritable and gives out a               booming noise!
    (c)  Does not watch the television and even if she does, is not able to concentrate for a long time. And                 come to think of it, she used to have her favourite serials and programmes that were never missed,
          come what may!
    (d) Tends to sleep it out most of the day and she seems to have got back her habit of uninterrupted sleep
          at nights. She used to be of the opinion that people wasted their lives by sleeping beyond the
          permissible/acceptable amount of six hours. Is it the combined effect of the medicines, I wonder?
    (e) Her movements have become pathetically slower but she steadfastly refuses to use either a walking
         stick/walker. She is vain about her age and feels that she's not that bad enough to take the support of
         props and I wouldn't like to insist!

3. Otherwise, she seems to be pretty okay. Her doctor and the people visiting her also confirm this as she follows the threads of her conversations to the minutest details. We try to bring her into our conversations and I still manage to elicit a few laughs from her through my PJs.

4. Sadly, her vibrancy is on display only rarely.


Tailpiece.

During the Dussehra holidays, we'd be getting together at my dad's house. Looking forward to see her in her elements and in the best of spirits as of old!
         

No comments:

Post a Comment