Thursday, February 26, 2015

Adieu, Blackie!

It's fruit time and the three of us were at the table having our share for the day. The time was about a half past 7 in the evening and I'd finished my exercises after returning from my walk. My cellphone began ringing with an ever insistent tone and it's my nephew from Thiruvananthapuram.

He sounded tearful and could barely manage to say that their black mongrel, Blackie was no more and had handed over the phone to his mother who then filled me on the details. The end of the canine was pathetic from the story etched out. A few minutes before sunset, she'd ventured out of the house, went past the feeder road on to the main road only to be fatally hit by a speeding motor cycle, who sped away from the scene of the accident, obviously fearing serious repercussions!

My aunt says that when she'd reached the scene of the accident, Blackie's tail was quivering while the body was comparatively still. She was on the throes of her final moments. She was buried in their courtyard by the mother and son, after informing the father whose Kochi bound flight from Delhi was within minutes of take off!

Blackie had arrived at their house one fine morning, about 9 years ago and my aunt had taken an immediate liking to the shiny black coated animal who was very, very docile and looked a twad underfed! The father-son duo initially didn't quite take to the pet positively but accepted her as a new member of the family, eventually. They'd seen as to how we'd tended Bruno, our Dobermann and used to ask me about the dos and the don'ts, towards tips for its grooming, from time to time.

In fact, when she's suffering from a difficult skin ailment, it's my classmate and vet, Mohanachandran who'd treated her! Over a period of time she was able to acquire the love of everybody at home and when I'd met her last, about three months back, she looked healthy and I remember the manner in which she'd stood beside me with both her paws on my tummy.

She used to like me as I'd always made it a point to spend some time with her!

Will miss you Blackie when I reach your home tomorrow evening. I'd be able to absorb the pain of your loss as I take off for the 'yatra' on Sunday morning but shall have you in my thoughts, definitely.

RIP, dear. You'll be missed and here's my tearful prayer for being the wonderful pet that you were!


Tailpiece.

A quiet day after dropping my friends at their home in Thrissur, this morning!   

No comments:

Post a Comment