Friday, February 27, 2015

An unusual yet alluring sight!

I was on my way to Thiruvananthapuram to be in time for the 'yatra' and had to take an early train from Guruvayur to be at Thrissur, in time for the Jana Shatabdi super fast train. Since I didn't want to disturb any of my friends at Thrissur, I'd decided to spend the over two hours spare time at the waiting room on the platform, which I must say was spic and span with the conservancy staff making their rounds periodically! And thank god, that I'd decided so, because, for me it was an education on life!!

As I was browsing my mail, I couldn't help but notice an elderly gentleman, with his three grandchildren - they addressed him as 'thaatha', which brought me to this conclusion! - passing terse instructions, never having to raise his voice even once. They're well behaved children, I should say.

He'd come with food packets, took his time to divide it equally before handing over the food to the children. The names of the children, depending upon their seniority age wise, were Shankar, Rahul and Nithya. Rahul seemed to be a bit disinterested in having his food when the old man, in no uncertain terms, told him that he'd to have it and the child never had any further doubts. After meals he'd ensured that they washed themselves, offering a towel for drying before they went playing.

It was only then that he'd sat down to have his lunch adding on to the left overs of the young girl. And as he savoured every morsel of his lunch, the kids used to complain about the other who was harassing or tormenting which used to get a patient hearing from the old man who used to summon the 'culprit', roll his eyes threateningly and give a scolding as appropriate which the child accepted without doubt and without rancour! In between, he'd combed the hair of the little girl with his hands - and mind you, it was a neat job!!

He was loved, respected and feared by the children. And the reason was quite easy to find. He led from the front, all the way. His child or children are fortunate to have his/their father being an ideal grandfather to their children. As I left the hall to catch my train, I gave him a farewell smile which he returned. But where was the grandmother?


Tailpiece.

Reached Thiruvananthapuram by 2100h and I got an opportunity to interact with the DGP, who happened to be the co-passenger to my left.

There was a pall of gloom at my Maman's house in the aftermath of Blackie's qruesome end yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment