Tuesday, April 7, 2015

A day mostly spent on the road!

The day had started fairly early in the morning as we'd a lot of work to do and lots of miles to go. We'd left my cousin's place by a quarter to 9.

Ramakrishnan was at his morning prayers and I heard him ask his God to keep his mom with him for more time. My grand aunt, at 102 yrs, looks emaciated and has become a bag of bones. Gone are her good looks and she shows a fleeting recognition, at times and generally gurgles and mumbles if she requires something. While his feelings for his mom wrenches one's heart, I'm of the opinion that he should let her go in peace but he'd have none of it. One can only offer advice and one shudders at what would happen to him when the inevitable happens! At 68, he's more like a kid on this score!!

After an hour's shopping spree at the canteen and on leaving my friend's stuff at another's place, we're off on the second last leg of this journey to Palakkad, to pick up my mom. The drive was smooth, with more trucks, tankers and lorries plying on the highway after the agreement thrashed out between the government and the truck owners, at the behest of the chief minister, yesterday. We reached my sister's place by a half past 2, had a light snack and were off for Guruvayur by a half past 3 during which time I'd managed to catch my forty winks!

The drive, again, was hassle free and we seemed to be the lone group on our way to the temple town as there was no vehicle that kept us company all through the 90 plus kilometers. As we opened up the house and unpacked, it was sunset time and a light drizzle had set in dashing my hopes of going out on my customary walk. I did a much shorter one to pick up a few sundries.

It was great to be back although it was a break of just a couple of days. Much could be accomplished but the creative work on the 'coffee table book', that we'd bring out on the occasion of our classmates' get together this December, didn't even take off thanks to the packed itinerary!


Tailpiece.

Mom didn't look as though she was affected by the journey but the hot weather has been overbearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment