Thursday, April 9, 2015

The 'yatra' has had its effect!

As a new month opens, I get into the frenetic activity of clearing up my bills during the first week. There're two principles at work here viz:-
   
       - One would find it unsettling if one didn't get one's paycheck on the first day and secondly,
          what's the use of holding onto someone else's share? ....A fact that I'd learnt from my parents               quite young!

       - In the navy, it was an unwritten law that gentlemen officers cleared their bills within the first
         five days of the following month. The fact has got ingrained into my system!

This morning I'd gone to the bank and had sorted out my credit card and cellphone bills for the month - the delay was because of the tight schedule of events like meeting up with Lekha's doctor and other requirements that saw me on the move, most of the time last week.

To confess, I'm still a bit chary to do things online. Again, it has a history. Years back, whenever I used to do online bookings for travel, I used to hit roadblocks because I simply couldn't remember my password used in the previous transaction! I would have actually noted it down somewhere like the last page of my personal diary - which is a library of similar scribbling that cannot be deciphered in times of need -  or on a scribble pad or even on a small piece of paper, safely tucked away into some book/drawer that I can never recall!

Anyways, today I made an attempt at paying our electricity bill online, armed with the knowledge that was driven into my system relentlessly, for a fortnight, by the young technical engineer who'd accompanied us for the 'yatra'. And came out with flying colours! The kids will laugh at this because for them, it's no big deal as they're very proficient in the use of computers and smartphones!

I must confess that I was thrilled at my meagre achievement(?)


Tailpiece.

George had driven us to Tirur, this afternoon, so that we could attend the ceremony that saw Lekha's nephew, Govind, going for his first Sabarimala pilgrimage along with his father. I told him about my first experience 27 years ago, when I'd seen the ample backside of the priest shrouding the deity as I reached the door of the sanctum sanctorum before being pushed away by the surging crowd.

When queried by Santhan kochachan, who was accompanying me, I'd told him as to what exactly had transpired. I remember him letting go off a mirthful laughter before he made sure that I did get the 'darshan' of the good Lord! He'd commended about my truthfulness to the others but what had puzzled me then was that why should anyone fib on a thing like that, at the cost of pricking one's own conscience?

And today, too, everyone at the ceremony laughed mirthfully at my story! I could only look upon them wearily, letting off a sheepish smile!!

We're back home by a trifle after sunset.
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment