Thursday, August 22, 2019

A personal dilemma.

A couple of months back, I'd talked of our old farmhand and dad's right hand man - a long while back who used to carry out agricultural work on our property - had requested me to get a job for his son, Nikhil. After Vocational Higher Secondary School examination, the lad had completed the automobile engineering course in the Industrial Training Institute(ITI), in our neighbourhood.

The father wanted me to help him get enrolled in the armed forces but the boy had clearly told me that he prefers a job, connected with the automobile industry.

My classmate's son is the HR executive in a leading automobile company. I'd put across this boy's case and he was more than willing to help out. Accordingly, he'd asked me to tell the youngster to send him his curriculum vitae. I'd told of this requirement to the son and his mom about four days back; but I got a very scanty and sketchy CV a day later and I'd called him up to say as to what all information was expected in the document, so as to project his persona, correctly! Incidentally, the mom had asked me as to whether I wanted a factual CV (Is prepared by someone he knows, for Rs.30/- or a much hyped CV (Obtainable at Rs.100/- from the same guy. Never knew about the existence of such a racket!). Though my patience was running out and my anger rising, I managed to tell them that I never encouraged falsehood but wondered, within, as to how they thought of getting away with such an idea, with me!

After a lapse of two days, Nikhil's mom had called me up this afternoon to tell the following:-

     (a) Her son was doing a 1 year attachment with the very same ITI, from where he'd passed out,
           to collect an 'experience certificate' and he has just completed two months (Perhaps, the
           course fee is steep for the family and dropping from it means a loss of investment and I
           appreciate that).

     (b) The father had simply cut himself away from this proposal of mine as he continues to be
           adamant that his son should join the armed forces! (I can understand his sentiments on this
           issue but he wants me to ignore his son's aspirations, which I don't support. The mom, in this
           case, like all mothers supports the son!)

     (c) Since the company that would provide him with a job deals exclusively with two wheelers,
           she's convinced that it would pay him less than what a 'four wheeler' company would give
           him as emoluments (How do I tackle this misinformation?)

     (d) She, finally, conceded that his friends - doing the course with him now - are dissuading him
           from taking up this offer saying that he must complete the course by all means (A case of 
           grapes being sour as they haven't got any such offer?).

     (e) He wants to learn driving and get a licence before taking up a job (I still can't fathom as to
           why that can't be done after getting the job).

I was quite shaken up by such sort of a reaction and have mentally pulled, myself, out of this idea of helping him out. I'll be at Raj Nivas, next week, to attend a wedding and to carry out the ceremonies connected with my mom's remembrance day, as per the Malayalam calendar. I shall explain to them if I get an occasion to meet anyone of them but there would be no compulsion.

I'm sure the youngster will get a better deal on his own efforts and perhaps, that's what beckons him! And I wish him well.


Tailpiece.

It was another quiet day with nothing much happening. It was raining cats and dogs by evening! Lekha had gone to the nearby supermarket to buy grocery.

No comments:

Post a Comment