Friday, August 30, 2019

Important calls.

It rained through the night but the morning was bright and sunny, to begin with. Lekha and Mini had gone to the Thrikkonnamarkodu kshetram by a half past 8. Sreekumar, the ever smiling auto rickshaw driver was their sa'arthi. As I was getting ready, Rema had come down from Pidavoor and by about a half past 10, we'd kicked off for our social calls an itinerary that I'd worked out during this trip.

The first stop was Gopiyettan's house at Ivarkaala East, beyond the famous Mannadi kshetram. He's my dad's nephew. Gopiyettan had passed into the mist of time on the day before yesterday, thanks to a cardiac arrest, consequent to complications in his lungs. All of 76 years, he was going through some medical difficulty throughout the preceding month. His son-in-law, who's a doctor, was at hand during his final moments and had used all the efforts, at his command, to revive him but to no avail. He was fond of me and my sisters and always made it a point to drop in at our house to interact with my parents and us.

RIP Gopiyetta. My tears and prayers. Here's wishing that your near and dear ones are strong enough to pass through these troubled times.

We left the place by about 1300 hrs and the next stop was at Varadamma appachi's - my dad's youngest sister - place at Kavanad, Kollam. Had a fair share and more of my errors in finding the right route to Kollam from there. After lunch enroute, we reached appachi's house by 1500 hrs. What floored me was the genuine thrill that I saw on her face on seeing us and the next one hour with her was a laugh riot! Her sharp mind, terrific wit and the eagerness with which she fed us with snacks kept us engaged totally, all through the one hour that we were with her. It was time well spent! She's 84.

Soon after li'l Aparna - her chirpy granddaughter returned from her school and after having a few snaps with them, we set off for Paravoor to meet up with Kurup kochachhan. I was feeling guilty that I'd not looked him up for more than a year. We'd bought a bunch of red bananas, enroute, that he's a weakness for. But, this evening, he was weak and in deep slumber thanks to a viral fever. I'd called out his name but didn't have the heart to insist on his waking up. Vijayan Kurup, the attendant, is doing a smart job in taking care of him. Hearing about his discomfort, his sons, Gopu and Kannan were on their way to Paravoor.

Get well soon, Kurup kochachha. We'll be back to interact with you soon! Kochachhan is 92.

On our return, I'd topped up our Chevy and checked tyre pressure from the petrol pump that I usually take in fuel, before shaping course to Pidavoor to drop Rema. Met Pidavoor amma and Ajith, Padmakumar's younger brother. After a short interaction and on picking up a pair of leather sandals, we were off to Raj Nivas, through rain, and reached home by 2000 hrs.

The calls were made over a span of nine hours and I'd driven through 199.5 kms and I enjoyed every minute of it!

The house suddenly seemed to be quiet thanks to Mini's absence. It was a quiet evening, thereafter!


Tailpiece.

The pro-Pakistan lobby, within our country, continue to spread fake news and spew venom about Kashmir. Why aren't these people being tried for treason? They cannot be let off lightly this time, because they've been having a charmed existence till now!    

No comments:

Post a Comment