Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Adieu Sabu's grandmother!

The day had started at 4 AM when Lekha's telephonic alarm had gone off. We went through our chores and had set off from 'The Quarterdeck' by about 10' to 7. As we were moving, I'd passed our gate keys to our neighbour which she'd returned just a couple of days back, through her messenger! The drive to Thrissur was, as usual not very tricky, as the traffic was sparse and we were soon at the Saravana Bhavan at Paliyekkara, where we'd stopped to have our breakfast.

It did rain enroute but it was not to the intensity that we saw the whole of last night. At Kalamasserry, I'd turned off into the Container Road to make our move to the Naval base, easier and we were at the canteen by about a half past 11. The purchases took about an hour and consequently, we sped off to my cousin's house to be in time for lunch.

I would be failing in my duty if I didn't mention the tremendous help that Anand, on the security detail was, in transferring the grocery and other assorted things into the boot of our Chevy. It was only but natural to tip him accordingly, he wished us a very happy Onam in advance and gave me a smart salute as I wheeled the Chevy out of the premises.

Lunch with Ramakrishnan, my brother-in-law, was laced with a lot of stories about the happenings in and around their place, which were nice to hear. After a short snooze, the both of us set off for meeting up with Dr. Satish Bhat and the two hours that we were there with him, were not only interesting but also educative! I did tell him as to how terribly disappointed I was that he didn't come on the line, when I'd called him a few days ago, for advice.

The upshot of it was that he has given us his personal telephone number and e-mail ID.

Sabu's grandmother, all of 88 years, had passed into the mist of time last evening due to a massive heart attack. What I remember of her was that way back in Aug '93, she'd come along with Sabu and my cousin, Lekshmi to be at Lekha's bedside in the Lisie Hospital. That was a great gesture when Lekha was seriously ill and from then on, the two of them had a very special relationship. And she was also fond of me.

RIP, Sabu's grandma! Our tears and prayers. You'll always have a special place in our hearts for the love and affection that you gave us.


Tailpiece.

Fixed up with my sister, Rema and brother-in-law, Padmakumar regarding our trip tomorrow to attend Sabu's grandmother's funeral after which we shall head for my parents' place.           

No comments:

Post a Comment