Monday, January 24, 2022

For the last 50 years.

I am not a lament. I am just a flame who burnt for 50 years to keep your memories alive.

4,089 of you died while doing your duty for the nation in a foreign land. You fought well you fought brave on either front.
You fell with pride you fell in gallantry for either of the country. I just upheld your honour for the last fifty years.
Under the shadow of another memorial I burnt for fifty years explaining your sacrifice.
As I burnt solemn, a hundred million of you came over fifty years and paid homage to your great deeds.
I integrated the nation I bound the people, I motivated the citizens as I burnt for fifty years.
Every morning at sunrise and every evening at sunset I created a beautiful aura as I burnt for those 18,250 days.
When your families came I burnt with all the humility to ease your pain.
I burnt for fifty years not in vain.
I burnt with pride every 26 Jan and every 15 Aug to honour the values of freedom and democracy which you always protected.
Do not lament for me. I have done my job for fifty years as dutifully as you did yours.

I am just flying 200 meters away to merge with my other sisters where we shall burn ever ever brighter for the next fifty years.
Like a river meets the ocean, I am just meeting the bigger flames.
Not to be lost but just living in another place but in the same form.

The times change. Let the India gate regain its old format of an Arched Gate with traffic flowing unhindered beneath.
It has majestically kept me in its bosom as I burnt for fifty years.
Together we just value added to the character of soldiering for fifty years.

Don't lament for me. I have done my job for fifty years and I will keep doing it at my abode for the next fifty years.
Time changes. When I arrived I was white. Some time later my attire was draped in black granite. The rifle and the helmet got renewed.
LPG gave way to CNG, which gave way to PNG. From white to black it was just a change of time.

I hope that peace will prevail and there will be no need for engraving more names some time across the next fifty years.
For peace, independence and freedom I will keep burning so that you can live freely not worrying about security.
Just that I will be burning at a new place doing my duty. I will not die till eternity just like the Amar Jawan.
Just that my place of duty has changed. 

With all humbleness I have burnt for fifty years under the shadows of another memorial.

Do not lament for me, I will now keep burning under the open sky. 
Just doing my duty from another post.

Remember the last fifty years. Remember why I burnt. Remember 4,089 who gave their lives for others' freedom and your protection. Remember their sacrifice.

It has been an honour to burn for fifty years and so do not lament for me.

For the last fifty years I have burnt with no pain and my efforts have not gone in vain.

- Maj Gen HK Singh, a friend and course mate.


Tailpiece.

Got up at a half past 6, the chores and was ready by a quarter to 10.

Went to town to fetch our fruit basket for the week. Spoke to Dr Srikant Mallan and fixed up Lekha's appointment on Friday.

Helped Lekha in watering the plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment