Sunday, May 8, 2022

A quiet Sunday!

I had reached the Thrissur bus stand around midnight; the number of passengers had dwindled to about 10. It was drizzling continuously as we cast off on our final leg.....the conductor was a young lady who was very helpful.

Earlier, I'd chided the scavenger collecting money from the customers, at the public comfort station, for keeping the place dirty. He promised to do the needful at the earliest. (Incidentally, it's Rs.3/- that's being collected!). The cleanliness was piss poor.

The bus left soon after and I'd requested the conductor to drop me at the Little Flower College, from where I would have to walk another 50' to my house but that was not to be. The road was blocked at Kottappadi and the bus had to turn off towards Thampuraanpadi junction and then to the Mammiyoor junction and onward, to the bus stand. It had begun to rain steadily with the accompaniment of thunder and lightning.

My cellphone's charge was abysmally low and I, therefore, had to switch it off and wasn't in a position to answer Lekha's queries but she was updated before I went off the air. The block was from the Mammiyoor junction and I'd to disembark there for the long trudge to my house.....there was no escape from it. From the entrance to the road that leads to my house, the road had caved in the middle by about a foot and a half in depth - where the huge pipes, for fresh water, had been newly laid - across a stretch of about 100 mts. 

Thankfully, I had a folding umbrella in my bag and taking shelter under it, had commenced my long trek home. The conductor and the driver asked me to negotiate the messy road, full of slush and rubble, with utmost care. They seemed to be concerned about this tottering (old) man! Damn sweet of them!!

Work was going on at the site where the road had caved in - they were filling up the caved portion in the stretch, with small granite stones. I was fascinated to see them at work with excavators, JCBs and smaller tools. Their leader told me that they'd have to repeat this at least twice again to get the road firm! Stood there watching them at work with the rain lashing all the time and gave them a thumbs up, as I headed for home.

Got wet - my clothes were partially drenched along with my bag. Thankfully, the laptop was safe and dry. Reached home by about a quarter past 1. Had a quick bath and change, with Lekha laying out a hot dinner with a piping hot cup of milk! And mind you, a power failure was on during the period but we'd adequate light thanks to the inverter. 

We hit the sack at a half past 2.

Got up around 7, the chores and had breakfast before bath. Earlier, heard the Rangoli and it carried a good collection of old Hindi movie songs.

Washing machinex of the bedlinen and my two-day collection of soiled clothes.

It was a quiet Sunday and no, we didn't venture out. The Seetharamans were talked to and the newly married couple viz. Haritha and Shyam were conveyed our wishes. Geoffrey and Rupali - at Palampur, Himachal Pradesh - were also wished on their great day!


Tailpiece.

Chalked out our programme for this week. Lekha is due for a visit to her dentist.

 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment