Friday, August 12, 2022

A short story.

I'm just back from Walmart and I have to tell you this, I was behind a grandfather and his badly-behaved grandson. He had his hands full with the child screaming for candies, toys and all sorts of other kiddo things.

The granddad is saying in a controlled voice....."Easy William, we won't be long.....easy boy".

Another outburst and I heard the granddad calmly say : "It's okay William. Just a couple more minutes and we'll be out of here. Hang in there, boy".

At the check out the little horror is throwing items out of the trolley.. Granddad says again in a controlled
voice : "William, William, relax buddy, don't get upset. We'll be home in five minutes, stay cool, stay cool, We'll be home in five minutes, stay cool William."

Well, I was really impressed, so I went outside where the grandfather is loading his groceries and the boy into the car. I said to the granddad, "It's none of my business but you were amazing in there. I don't know how you did it.  That whole time you kept your composure and no matter how loud and disruptive he got, you just calmly kept saying  things would be okay. William is very lucky to have you as his granddad".

"Thanks", said the granddad. "But I am William. The little bastard's name is Kevin".

My take.

I think the day of confrontation just got over!


Tailpiece.

Got up at 6, the chores and I was ready by a quarter past 9. Before that, the three of us had breakfast and by 10, we'd gone to my cousin's office. After being there for a while, Lekha and I had gone to finish off our remaining serials. 

Set off to Guruvayur and reached the Chevrolet service station to show Shibu, the Chevy's problems. The a/c wasn't working because I'd shut it down. Period. Reached home by a half past 8. 

Opened up The Quarterdeck! Kittu was waiting for us and he went away only after having his food.    

No comments:

Post a Comment