Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Humour in uniform.

"Well", snarled the drill sergeant to the miserable recruit doing push-ups in the rain, "I suppose after you're discharged you'll just be waiting for me to die so you can spit on my grave". "Not me", replied the recruit. "Once I get out of the Marines, I'm never standing in line again". Pete E Murphy

       *      *      *

During basic training one lesson stood out from all the others : keep your mouth shut unless given permission to talk. But I didn't realise how well our instructors had hammered this point home until one evening when we sat down to eat. My table mate started her evening prayer with, "God, request permission to pray". Gail Hayes

        *      *      *

Short and baby-faced, my buddy Wiggins had trouble being taken seriously in the Army. A moustache, he assumed, would fix that. He was wrong. "Wiggins!" bellowed our drill instructor after spotting the growth during inspection.

"What's so special about your nose that it's got to be underlined?" K Trott

          *      *      *

Basic training has a way of making a soldier feel that he or she is being worked like a dog. Now I have proof. While on KP duty at fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, I was hauling containers of vegetables. On the side of one box was this : "FOR ANIMAL OR MILITARY USE ONLY". Lori Montgomery

           *      *      *

During basic training, my platoon was given a choice of going either to the gym or the PX. By a show of hands, we opted for the PX. "Uh-uh" said our sergeant. "You're all going to the gym". "But, Sarge", whined our recruited, "we took a vote". "Boys, let me explain", he said, :We're here to defend democracy, not practice it". Warren Pansire


Tailpiece.

Got up a trifle before 6, the chores and was ready leisurely. It was a rainy day.

The caretaker and two workers cut the massive tree on the southern side of Raj Nivas. This action was taken to prevent reptiles from entering our attic from the enclosed market next door.  

Our Chevy was brought back by Monish amid rain. She returns after 13 days!  


No comments:

Post a Comment