Sunday, March 3, 2024

Observations from a dear friend.

My course mate stays in Calcutta as his wife hails from there. I respect his observations and opinions about life in general. Deeply analytical in his thinking, he pulls no punches. when he wants to say about something.

"I know very little and don't have an analytical mind so my views may not be right. I do observe as a layman.

I think the Commies (CPM) did more damage to the state than the Naxalites. They ruined the work culture, hierarchical social order to include Law and Order and most important, the higher education from where the best brains were churned out. The TMC is riding the same tiger (system) so no change is possible. I'm not born and brought up in Calcutta but my wife is, so I am here. 

No.2 observation.

There are 28 kids of my wife's relatives including 2 of mine. 24 are out of West Bengal for good and will never come back. My point is that educated have left so how will this state improve?

My observation no.3

The void of the next generation moving out has been filled up by Hindi-speaking rowdies mostly Hindus, at least in cities. The fringe areas around borders and mofussils are filled with Muslims from all over the world, I think. The silver lining is that the Hindu rowdies have kept a check on the Muslims. I'm sure if proper census is done, this state will have the highest percentage of peaceful ones.

My 4th observation.

In any train accident like the one in Orissa recently, the West Bengal governrnent is is proactive b'coz most trains are packed with skilled/semi skilled labour from this state to make a living. This labour force goes to improve other states and those who don't go are simply unemployable. So the state of West Bengal can't improve.

No.5 observation.

It's surviving bcoz of its fertile land and locational advantage from trade point of view. 8 northeastern states, Bangladesh and Nepal partially have to access West Bengal for many things. Also, it is the nearest sea route from Delhi. 

All said and done, the Bong literature is too good so most Bongs who know their vernacular are very enlightened and sensible people. I hardly know Bengali!

My take

The actual ground situation!


Tailpiece.

Got up around 6,and went about my chores leisurely. A quiet Sunday with yakkitiyak.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment