Sunday, May 9, 2010

Amma and Mother's day

I've always wondered as to why the westerners celebrated certain days accentuating relationships because for us, family ties are important right from the day that one's born into this world. I mean one often thinks about one's parents or other near and dear ones, at times even more than once, in a day!
I suppose these cardinal dates had become relevant in the west from the early '70s when the 'Beatles' and the 'Woodstock festival' had become a rage, the 'hippie' culture came in with a bang, making the younger generation of those days rebel against the existing rules and traditions prevalent in society. And the institution that was worst hit was the 'family' and permissive living had become a way of life in defiance of parental control. Things have come a long way and today, it's heartening to note that family ties are once again becoming robust and people of different generations have accepted and understood the importance of nurturing these ties!
I'm increasingly bewildered by what's being embraced by the Indian society of today of the mores of the '70s that the west has long since discarded. Anyways, to be with the Jones's, Lekha and I made our usual call home to wish my Amma, a happy Mother's day and her pleasant retort was, 'don't tell me you require this day to remember me?'
And for once I was stumped for an answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment