Friday, July 8, 2011

Another budget.

Finance Minister KM Mani of Kerala has come out with this year's budget for the state. There're two anomalies as I see in it, though I must hasten to add that my knowledge on all matters financial is abysmally poor and hence, I'd term my doubts as purely layman in nature.

His budget establishes a revenue deficit of over Rs. 5,000 cr but has not announced any measures to remove or reduce it! Perhaps, he's playing to the gallery and doesn't want to burn his fingers by introducing/enhancing taxes! But, who'll take that remedial action and when will it happen?

The second point is that there're a slew of infrastructure initiatives for Kottayam district that houses his constituency and where his party has a strong presence. In the process, the coastal areas and the Malabar region have been given a raw deal and by doing so, he gives the impression of being the FM of Kottayam!

Why can't people like him stop playing politics and be more statesmanlike? It's the long term objectives that will take the state to prosperity through all encompassing, all inclusive growth.

I hope I ain't horribly wrong or am I being naive in my thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment