Monday, July 11, 2011

Too many pin pricks!

This morning, I was at the MI Room in pursuit of giving the tests as part of my medical examination for the year.

As my official Gypsy was down with a snapped fan-belt and my Cruze was at the service station, it was my neighbour DK who'd graciously offered to chauffeur me to the hospital of whose staff, he was a member. He insisted on taking me to the sample collection room and literally, handed me over to the Sister on duty.

Now, I've this problem of 'invisible' and 'untraceable' veins which becomes very pronounced when blood samples have to be drawn from me! The Sister tried her best to bring them to the fore after tying the mandatory tourniquet and slapping at the fold of my elbow many a time. Finally, almost crying Eureka, she whispered into my ears, 'one small prick sir' and plunged the offensive needle into my body but to no avail. Profusely apologetic, she withdrew the needle and carried out a similar exercise on the other hand with similar, disastrous consequences!!

It was finally, at the third attempt, that she could achieve success and that too after 'voyaging' through the innards of my hand, with the needle, after its insertion!!! The poor young lady was flustered and apologetic for which I'd to put her at ease by telling her that she was much better than her predecessors.

DK's comment as I was moving to the nearby cafe for a quick snatch of breakfast was intriguing as it left many things unsaid and I quote him, 'Sir, I had observed that she was totally perplexed and unsure of herself as she started it all and may I assure you that she's one of the best. Wonder what's happened today?' Was she intimidated by my demeanour or by my stripes? I shall never know.

By the time I'd finished giving the sample post-breakfast, an hour and a half later, I must've resembled a 'junkie' heavily onto drugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment