Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why do people stay away?

I've always looked forward to being with my classmates from school and coursemates from the Academy as well as those, whom I've picked up as friends during my journey of life, thus far. I must clarify that I'd like to believe that the feelings have been reciprocated with the same intensity from the other side too!

I'm of the firm belief that there's no point in holding on to a relationship that has ceased to exist. Sentimental attachment to the past should be avoided if a similar feeling doesn't exist and I'm reminded of the evergreen 'Abba' number, 'It's time to move on'.

We'd a small get together, this evening, at a hotel in the heart of the city. I'd personally spoken to each of my classmates - there're nine of them - and barring two, everyone had confirmed their attendance. Of course, two of them had buzzed me to say that they'd got caught in something unexpected and would still try to make it time permitting, but didn't.

It was finally just the three of us classmates, amongst the big crowd, when one of them quipped and I quote, "Rajeev, there are quite a few of us who'd prefer to stay away from such conglomerations because they aren't as sincere as you're and there's nothing much that is achieved from our meetings".

The fact is that I too know that nothing much is 'achieved' in concrete terms from such outings but what about the tremendous thrill that one gets from meeting one's old classfellows, friends or acquaintances?

They've to grudge me that happiness, however, momentarily it's gonna be!

No comments:

Post a Comment